400 SBC ?

Murphy

I have an interest to eventually got with a bigger motor and have been occasionally searching for 400 sbc's. What I don't understand is why several CL listing that I've found, state a 509 block with 2 bolt mains and then they show this picture. Sure looks like 4 bolts to me??? 

post-732-0-41778600-1418936178_thumb.jpg

That particular photo stated .030 over bore in the ad.........so apparently splayed center caps/bolts have been added as it was originally a 2-bolt?  Just needed to verify that I'm not misunderstanding what I'm looking at, for future reference.................THX.

correct, original caps would not be splayed, if you buy this, the first thing I would do is send the block out and have the line bore checked, whenever you do anything to the line bore, it needs to be checked!!!

It has splayed main caps. If it is .030 over it is probably done. 040 is about max on a factory block not a lot of room for clean up.

Two bolt blocks are actually stronger than the factory 4 bolt blocks in the main web area. splayed caps make them better.

The last 400 I did, adding the three splayed center main caps, then line bore, squaring the deck, then boring, was pretty high dollar. I probably could have picked up an aftermarket block for a little more.

• 2 weeks later...