Bang for buck

GriffsMonte

timing is set at 8 degrees it starts and cruises fine, but it does the popping at any degree of timing.

I'm an engine noob guys, is the exhaust valve pushrod always on the left side of the valve ?

I think mine is set 12 degrees btdc....been a while since I have set the timing but I know it was 11 or 12. With a timing light on it have you seen the vacuum advance work?

With a timing light connected to #1 cylinder when you give it throttle the timing should advance. The faster the engine goes the more the timing advances.

With a timing light connected to #1 cylinder when you give it throttle the timing should advance. The faster the engine goes the more the timing advances. A timing light pointed towards the crank shift scale Will tell you if you have vacuum advance.

Mitch, you said that you changed the intake manifold.  Did you go with a single or dual plane manifold?  Your 600 cfm Edelbrock Performer Series carb is NOT recommended (by Edelbrock) for any single plane manifold.  If you have a single plane manifold, the 650 cfm Edlebrock Thunder Series carb is the one they recommend. 

If you have a dual plane manifold, have you made any adjustments to your current carb to calibrate it to your particular engine?  Edlebrock makes a Calibration Kit for each of their carbs.  If you have a 1406 carb (configured at the factory for fuel economy) you will need the #1487 kit.  It has an assortment of jets, metering rods and step up springs you can use to calibrate your carb to your engine set up and driving requirements.  You can download the Edlebrock Owner's Manual for complete instructions on how to do it.  BTW, your valves and timing must all be correct before you begin calibrating the carb.

Like others, I suspect the problem is in other parts of the engine, but even if/when you get that fixed you should calibrate your Eddy carb for best performance with your engine.  Good luck.

If you wind up determining its the cam, I have a spare cam and lifter kit that's still new in box that I'm probably not going to use. I don't remember the specs offhand, but I can check tonight.

It's a Jegs cam, I'm not sure which part number but it's got 252 degrees intake duration, and 262 degrees exhaust at 0 valve lift, and 194 intake/204 exhaust at .050 valve lift. Should be a bit bigger than a stock 400 sbc cam. 

Hey guys pulled one valve cover then started to get rained out as usual. but here is what i found.

The #2 is not moving like the rest

Any ideas ????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKGzT1liiIU&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVQSJn9g_kI&feature=youtu.be

post-1188-0-72106700-1421183726_thumb.jpg

Thats the exhaust port....that would explain the popping and flames coming out the carb. That #2 cylinder probably still has exhaust in the cylinder on intake. It is barely opening to vent the cylinder....bad cam is my guess.

Could be either or both....wont know till you take the head off. Might as well do the whole shebang IMO....cam and valve job all around.

Add a mild cam for some more HP.....

I the oil pump on these is driven by the distributor... Though I don't remember how many revolutions it took to start seeing oil last time I checked. Thought it was fairly quick though.

Maybe try adjusting the lash on that one valve, see if that helps any.