Bang for buck

GriffsMonte

So i have changed everything on this engine including plugs,plug wires,cap, rotor, coil and a brand new platinum duralast. The darn thing is still popping through the carb with vapors but only when you slam on the gas . so im asking for any suggestions on what it might be ? Or what engine should i replace it with and get the best bang for my buck.

P.s. Put a vac gauge on it and it just vibrates from 19 to 21 back and forth.

Yea, i did all that today because i saw on the web where it said a vibrating needle on a vacuum gauge means its an ignition problem. i dint do the dwell because i don't know how. i do have the timing set at 8* right now and she starts idles and drives fine at low rpm.  

I should also of clarified. With mine I have factory points distributor and original carter q jet carb. Sounds like you may not have the points. Could be a carb issue like Sam stated. Did you try a good carb cleaning or running some seafoam down the carb? That also smoothed things out for me in the past. Would hate to see you look to replace the whole engine if something simple can fix it. Good luck to you

Rob i tightened everything down in an x formation, front right then left back etc.

Sam, when you get down on it you can hear the pop with every rotation and its constant. I think vapors only come out on the first pop but it might be with every rotation also

What did the old plugs look like, color, build up etc? If it's with every rotation sounds like a lifter or cam lobe starting to wear down.

:dt

that's where I was going with the multiple pops, if it's popping constantly, you better start looking at the cam

I may be off base ..but what about a small video clip of the problem..your engine interpretation and written word may conflict. (no offense)....seeing and hearing the problem may be just the ticket for guys like Sam et al,.. that are knowledgeable about strange happenings in motors..?????????