looking to swap out the old school cooling!

Rock

This is what I like, it's a dual 14" fan set-up with a carbon fiber shroud. Comes with a relay, alum. over flow a 48" hose (which i dont need) the guy said he would exchange the harness for the hose even up....$378.00. Good deal?  any one run an elec. fan set up on these cars and do you notice a difference in cooling or any other positive differences?

post-1188-0-72682000-1421262830_thumb.jpg

What cfm is that set up rated at and what brand of fans are those? Not trying to be rude but to be honest it kinda looks like two generic fans place on a carbon fiber board. Also it looks like it isn't even mounted and there are a bunch of extra tabs on it. 

I always thought the shroud should itself should not be flat but have a depth to them like a pan (it's not like there's little room between the fan and the block)  to create a vaccuum from the entire rad area not just where the fans are on the shroud..other than that it does look cool..no pun intended

The add says 1700 cfm for each fan....He said the fans are a little different that what's pictured. They are a black and don't have the brass motor mounts like in the picture.

I believe that the performance of the fans/and your cooling would be linked to the  performance of your radiator also..from what I have read over the past while core size would also dictate cooling performance..4 row rads are not as effective as lesser rows??..and construction of the rad itself being copper or aluminum.....If your present rad works then I can't see why, at that cfm it wouldn't work..but I am a newbie at this stuff..just an info sponge..I have saved that product though for future reference and you can tell us all how they work,,,,just out of curiosity does anyone have the cfm rating of a 7 blade old style fan would be???

I already have the 3 row champion radiator in the car and it works really well. Now this is just my opinion and don't anyone get butt hurt over this but that long shroud is just ugly. I have seen pic s of Montes without the shroud and electric cooling fans and it looks so much better.

Gotta be careful how companies rate the cfm on their e-fans. Company A may rate their fan at 1700 cfm but the cfm rating is taken with the fan not pulling through a radiator. Put this same fan behind a radiator and its efficiency can be greatly reduced. Company B rates their fan while pulling through a radiator and rates its fan at the same cfm rating, 1700, that is a good thing. 

I installed a dual fan kit  for a customer on a mild sbc in an C-10 P/U. Generic 12" fans/ shroud with a 2 core aluminum radiator. Worked ok but a soon as the a/c was cut on the temps climbed. Swapped fans out for some Spal units and the problem was solved.

Just my experience. 

David

I have also noticed that depending on how the fans are wired they can push or Pull air. Which would be the preferred method? How does the mechanical fan work? Push or pull?

Pulling fans are more efficient. Mechanical is a puller. I have never seen the cfm rating for a mechanical but I'm guessing a bunch. LOL. I still have the old school setup but with a aluminum 2 core radiator, Hayden 2747 fan clutch, Stewart Stage II aluminum water pump, Autozone 15356 160 degree t-stat that is drilled, factory fan and shroud. Radiator is filled with deionized water and a bottle of Redline Water Wetter.

Something else to consider. Some aftermarket e-fan shrouds have rubber flaps that open as air is pushed through when the vehicle is at speed. This is said to  further aid in cooling. 

David

I took a look at the link you provided, you might want to make sure that is not going to be a flat piece of carbon fiber (meaning that it would lay directly on the radiator) but instead a raised surface where the fans are able to pull every square inch of the radiator surface.

$_12.JPG

I am not trying to sway you from buying this product I just want you to get a good product. Here is a recent link where we were talking about fans (not sure if you already seen it) where you can see some pics of the "raised" shroud I was talking about.

http://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12349-cooling-fan-question/?hl=%2Belectric+%2Bfans&do=findComment&comment=142926

• Like 1

I took a look at the link you provided, you might want to make sure that is not going to be a flat piece of carbon fiber (meaning that it would lay directly on the radiator) but instead a raised surface where the fans are able to pull every square inch of the radiator surface.

$_12.JPG

I am not trying to sway you from buying this product I just want you to get a good product. Here is a recent link where we were talking about fans (not sure if you already seen it) where you can see some pics of the "raised" shroud I was talking about.

http://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12349-cooling-fan-question/?hl=%2Belectric+%2Bfans&do=findComment&comment=142926

It does have what looks like a 1" raised top and bottom edge. Trust me.....I am researching and asking questions. Don't want to spend 400 on something I can't use.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

By the look of the light gauge wire (14ga?) the manufacturer of those generic fans do not appear to be very concerned about  the need of their motors to draw very high amperage.  That makes me suspect.  Remember the laws of physics...  if you want to accomplish substantial work, it going to mandate the expenditure of power.   High amperage draw of 12 v electricity requires large gauge wire for reduced resistance and safety.  

We're just trying to help you from being burned here... not trying to put down the merchandise, but I would really doubt that those two fans could even move 1800 CFM of air through your radiator.     

I'm a DIY guy,  and have had real success with using the OEM Mark VIII fans on three previous vehicles.  So, I just pulled the Flex-A-Lite dual fans set-up below (Straight blade reversible version, with thermostat installed)  off of the car that I just purchased.  They looked new, and seemed to be up to the task of cooling my big block when I bought it in the fall, but it gets 120* here in the summer, and I believe that over-built is just about right.   The measurements on it is 16" x 27".   Let me know if you want to use it.    Doug

x_treme_s_blade_dual_electric_fan_480_1.

Reversible dual 12 1/8 inch X-Treme S-Blade electric fan
Part Number: 490
MSRP: $449.53

Flex-a-lite® Reversible X-Treme dual electric S-Blade fan system that moves 3,000 cfm of airflow

Well, it's been a week since I made the offer to donate the dual fans to your build...  I'm guessing by the non-response that you've decided to go a different path.  So, let's see if we can't find a new life for the fans through SecondChanceRaceParts.      Doug

• 2 weeks later...