Horn relay

lopez70

I cannot get my horn to work when button is pushed at wheel. Only a buzzing sound coming from the relay. I have the relay open and the buzzing noise are two contacts arcing.the horn works when hooked up to the battery. Not sure if bad relay or incorrect wiring. Can anyone help?

Leroy,

First and foremost, welcome aboard the FGMCC Web Site boards and congrats on your first post.  We hope you like what you see and decide to become a full fledged dues paying member of the club.

Sounds like you need a new relay.  Put a volt meter positive lead (red)  on the wire at the horn and negative lead (black)  to any good grounding point and have someone blow the horn and see if it is getting at least 12 to 14 volts. 

If the relay is buzzing like you say you could try to clean the contacts.  If they are buzzing it may be because they are dirty or the relay coil is not strong enough to completely pull them in and hold them energized, thus needing a new horn relay. 

You say the horn works if you hook it to the battery.  Does this mean you are running a wire to the horn contact with the horn still mounted on the car or not mounted.  If it is mounted an blows that means the ground at the horn is good and it is missing the positive signal from the relay.  Those are some things you can look into.

Rob

You can try to lubricate the contacts with some of that contact cleaner, or clean them with some denatured alcohol and a q-tip. Also a pencil eraser works good on contacts. If neither of those options works the relays are available from the various vendors.

the horn relay is also the door buzzer

the horn button controls the ground for the relay, you can test it by grounding the terminal with the green wire, if the horn works then, you have a issue from the relay to the horn button, issues with the horn button is very common

Right on! Turn out my horn relay was bad. The relay was not strong enough. Just need to mount the relay. I know it should be somewhere on driver side behind headlight. Just not sure exactly where. Is it mounted to the fender well?

Leroy, the attached photo shows the location of the horn relay (blue arrow) on the backside of the core support.  It is just left of the radiator and tucked up under the top edge of the support.

post-567-0-24576400-1423159946_thumb.jpg