Please Help oil smells a little like gas and wont start

GriffsMonte

like the title says she wont start.

I put in a new fuel pump Tuesday with no fuel pressure regulator on it. it ran fine i parked it and tried to start it yesterday and she wouldn't start. the engine turns over just fine but it wont fire. i pulled the plugs and some had gas on them and some did not i replaced the plugs today after letting it sit all day without any plugs n it and it still wont start. really need some help i have a trip to go on tomorrow and i wanted to drive it

I had a small block chevy do this one time. For whatever reason it had flooded very badly and I had lots of gas in the oil. I had to drain the oil and replace it. I asked an old-timer about and he said to rap the side of the carb the float had stuck. I have no idea but I had the car for many years and it never did it again. Dale

well i have turned it over multiple times, so i guess i will change the oil tomorrow and hope it fires. should i get a new carb ? i jus pulled the eddy 1406 off to look at it. the day before it was parked my fuel pressure gauge was reading 9 psi with no regulator. which is y i thought it was flooded

Yea, Guys i know this is a rookie question but i need a better understanding. Could gas in the oil really stop the engine from starting ?

if the plugs are soaking wet it won't fire. And if there is gas in the oil then the plugs could be too wet. If you spent a lot of time cranking the engine and feeding it gas then that could cause gas in the oil too.

Yes gas in the oil could cause the motor to not start, Gas vapors drawn in through the pcv system would contribute to an over rich condition. WARNING, those gas vapors can and do explode in the crankcase blowing out the oil pan and valve covers. { happened to me }. also do not discount a bad fuel pump, when they fail internally they can pump fuel into the oil pan via the pump push rod opening in the block. My 2 cents......................

Thanks for the info timothy, i just changed the fuel pump the morning before this happened it was my first time doing so but i heard the squawking from the pump as i put it on which i was told means it was put on correct 

During the changing of the pump, some debris may have broken loose (like rubber hose material) and pushed past the filter, got stuck between the needle and seat, causing the float to stick open.

What else (if anything) did you do at this time? I would change the fuel filter.

Bruce

Ok so it did start and im actually on my trip now just checked in. And as usual its never what it seems, the ignition module failed and that why it wouldnt start got one put on and she fired right up