Help - Advice on Mufflers - New sway bar issue

snomobeelr

I am installing a new rear sway Bar "Hellwig 55868". It turns out the Mufflers I have are too wide and in the way. I have the Dynomax Super Turbo which are 11 inches wide. I am trying to find a muffler at least 2 to 3 inches thinner. I did find a "MagnaFlow  Mufflers.  Does anyone have any experience with MagnaFlow  Mufflers or any other suggestions?  Before this issue occurred I was thinking of changing mufflers as the car is a bit loud at Idle but wasn't going to do anything for a while because its all new. Now I have too.

Thanks 

Currently have installed 

Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers 17792

Case Length (in):16.000 in.
Overall Length (in):23.000 in.
Thickness (in):5.500 in.
Width (in):11.000 in.
............................................................................................................................................

Case Length (in):14.000 in.
Overall Length (in):20.000 in.
Thickness (in):4.000 in.
Width (in):9.000 in.
............................................................................................................................................

Thickness (in):5.000 in.
Width (in):8.000 in.

post-44-0-66252300-1426425480_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-04453400-1426425487_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-93103400-1426425804_thumb.jpg

Sam,  I looked at the Flowmasters too but the Magnaflows are thinner. Unless there is a thinner on I didn't see.. 

Case Length (in):17.000 in.
Width (in):9.750 in.

Case Length (in):17.000 in.
Width (in):9.750 in.

well here's a thought I kave, that is the fixed end of the sway bay, so it doesn't really move much, what about denting your mufflers some for a little more clearance and see how it goes before dumping and bunch of cash and labor on a new set?

just a thought here :confused:

I thought about denting the mufflers for more clearance but they are so close and I also wondered if the heat will effect the Bushings in the ends??? I am still not sure about all this. If I do change mufflers and the new mufflers  are are shorter I will also need a center section of pipe from the crossover pipe to the muffler. The only one I found that is not shorter so far is the most expensive. Only good thing is nothing from the back of the cross over pipe has been welded in place yet. Was clamped in for now. Bad thing is everything will have to be readjusted..    

MagnaFlow Performance Mufflers 14261  = $168.13

Case Length    (in):24.000 in.
Overall Length (in):30.000 in.
Thickness       (in):5.000 in.
Width           (in):8.000 in.

MagnaFlow 14239 - MagnaFlow Performance Mufflers  = 127.96

..................................................................................................................................
MagnaFlow 13239 - MagnaFlow XL 3 Chamber Mufflers  = $77.81

Width (in):9.000 in.

http://www.jegs.com/i/PYPES/958/MVR16/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710851718&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=230006180000848331&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAjw25SoBRCMn7Gc97Knj0ISJAC7vaMrfwQ4rfLSRFRc2UT9EEgaL7RMLo5bemwSzC5i_P8o6xoCjSLw_wcB

Little smaller than what you have width wise. I have these on my s/b. Good muffler, nice idle/cruise sound but will bark hard at WOT.

David

Like Glen,  I'm now running the polished Magnaflow 13239 that you asked about.  

My '72 came wearing a new, FLowmaster 3" system with 'H' crossover.  It sounded horrible, like a steel drum being beat upon.

I pulled the Flowmaster system and bolted up the stainless Magnaflow' 3" with its 'X' crossover...    what an incredible difference!  The exhaust was transformed into a warm, throaty rumble!  

I love it!     And, as you posted, it's just 9" wide.

• Like 1

Like Glen,  I'm now running the polished Magnaflow 13239 that you asked about.  

My '72 came wearing a new, FLowmaster 3" system with 'H' crossover.  It sounded horrible, like a steel drum being beat upon.

I pulled the Flowmaster system and bolted up the stainless Magnaflow' 3" with its 'X' crossover...    what an incredible difference!  The exhaust was transformed into a warm, throaty rumble!  

I love it!     And, as you posted, it's just 9" wide.

MagnaFlow for the win!

I was thinking about dimpling the muffler but probably have to remove it to do that too and will still be close. . So you guys are using the Magnaflow XL 3 Chamber Mufflers ?  I have a Torque Tech System with the X-Pipe.  

Thanks Everyone

I stand corrected, Sno-   I purchased the complete assembly, but the individual muffler from the kit carries a part number of  14329.

Think I found it. I was going to get the Magnaflow 14329 but there is another Magnaflow 14264 which has the same except it is 24 inches long instead of 20 inches. The. Magnaflow 14264 cost more but I wont have to buy new pipe extensions so it evens out to the same.  

Magnaflow  14264

Case Length (in):18.000 in.

Overall Length (in):24.000 in.

Think I found it. I was going to get the Magnaflow 14329 but there is another Magnaflow 14264 which has the same except it is 24 inches long instead of 20 inches. The. Magnaflow 14264 cost more but I wont have to buy new pipe extensions so it evens out to the same.  

Magnaflow  14264

Case Length (in):18.000 in.

Overall Length (in):24.000 in.

You wont be disapointed with the tone! Good choice :2beers:

So this is a bit embarrassing but I may have jumped the gun. I am just glad the exhaust hasn't been entirely welded up yet. I received the Magnaflow mufflers 14264 . They seem really nice, well constructed but they may be too Narrow.  I was thinking the offset was the same but its not. So it changes everything. There are FlowmasterS that are 9 3/4 or another Magnaflow that is 9 inches wide so it is not so extreme...  Also what type of collector Gaskets you use? The ones I had on were already showing signs of leakage.  Copper or Aluminum? Felpro?  

Flowmasters are the same Length as the ones I removed. They are 9.75 wide not as extreme as the Magnaflow. 

Or the 9 inch wide magnaflow but they are only 20 inches long ..

post-44-0-42212600-1426819046_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-97568300-1426819067_thumb.jpg

Sno-

The creature does exist that'll save the day for you.... what you need is Magnaflow 13269.   It is offset/offset like your current set-up, 4" tall,  9" wide, and 24" long.  ( Body is 18")   

I used dead soft aluminum gaskets.   The Magnaflow came with the socket collector, but it had been damaged in shipping.  The shop said that it was pretty much guaranteed to leak, so we grafted on a plate collector.

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

having this same issue with my exaust and new suspension parts..its not the rear sway bar but the lower control arm and brace bolt nut combo thats hitting jus one muffler. the idean I had to try and fix it was to got to a  muffler shop and have the cut a v shaped piece out of the pipe and try to bend the muffler and pipe away a lil bit then reweld it back together...see how close those nuts are to the mufflers....smh...

IMG_20131016_124519_zps051ba5e8.jpg

Hey Scott...   try flipping your bolt around, so that the nut and excess threads are inside the frame instead of pounding on the muffler.  This will buy you an extra inch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had to change my mufflers due to the width, sway bar I had added. I changed From Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers 17792 to the Turbo to Magnaflow  XL 3 Chamber Muffler -13269  and now I get a horrible drone from 1800 to 2300 on the street. I am limited by the width of the muffler I can use. I have narrowed it down to the 2 mufflers. Not looking to be loud just sound good. 

Flow Master - FLO-843053 :   Delta Flow 50 Series

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-843053

............................................................................................

Dynomax Ultra Flow welded Mufflers : WLK-17547

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17547

If you want to quiet it down some, you can install a round glass-pack upstream of the mufflers like a resonator. Almost all modern cars have resonators and it really helps with drone. I did this with my daily driver when the stock resonator pipe blew out. I welded in a $25 Thrush glass-pack and it was just like new.