Kick-Panel Vents

Bluemalibu

I need some schooling here guys...

The one down-side that the Classic Auto Air A/C units have, is that they have no fresh-air mixing...  therefore, I purchased manual kick-panel vents that came on non-A/C Chevelles.   After removing the sheet-metal block-off panel from the driver's side, the inside looks to be boxed in.  Is there some fresh-air access from above, like through the cowl area, or do I need to punch a vent hole through the under-fender firewall?   Thanks!  Doug

Hey Doug.  Not 100% on this but, I took a water hose and sprayed down into the cowl vents below windshield and ended up with a pretty good amount of water on passenger cabin floor.  Isn't Astro Ventilation fresh air flowing into cabin?  Or are you looking for a more forceful flow of fresh air?

Again,  the relationship of water into cabin area I assumed was because of asto ventilation.

Doug 

Thanks Doug.   That's exactly what I was wondering...  I knew there had to be a source to the Astro/V, so I felt up inside the kick panel sheet-metal enclosure as far as I could reach, and it seems to lead into the cowl area.  My '67 has the manual vent in the kick-panel, and it really blasts the cabin if your doing over thirty.  I wanted to add that feature to the Monte.

I believe I'll wait until the spouse is asleep and appropriate her hair-dryer, to see if a blast of air from the vent will exit the cowl.    :rolleyes:  

--- On a side note,  have you had any work done by JB's there in Portland?

My grill was re-chromed before I purchased the car, but the egg-crate area inside the chromed surround is bubbling up badly due to the oxidation of the pot-metal.   I just purchased another '72 grill off of flea-bay that is nearly blemish-free in the egg-crate portion, but the chrome on it is original...  still nice, but it's lost a lot of the dazzle that it had forty years ago.  Doug

No, haven't had any experience with them.  Not many outfits here in Portland that can handle large projects.  I checked around and came up with only one outfit locally that could re chrome a 1st Gen rear bumper and that surprised me.

Good idea to blow something thru the vent and see what happens.  I can see having that additional ventilation handy at times.  Your going to really confuse folks when they see A/C and the kick panel vents too!

I spent a whole lot of time trying to polish the grit/oxidization off of the grill grates.  I finally (from another members suggestion) used a razor blade and gently cleaned the residue off the chrome grate edges.  It worked really well but also showing bubbles in spots.  Regardless, was a really nice improvement and I am satisfied.

All the best on your improvements.  Looks like your putting a lot of energy into her.

Doug

You will get air from the cowl to that vent, when I changed my 70 over for air to non-air I removed that same plate and then was shocked to see a pool of water on the floor mat. On a true non-air car there is another hole in the cowl to have air come out the dash vents.

Thanks guys...  yes indeed, each side of the cowl dumps over into the upright kick-panel ductwork.   

And now, a second question...  my car is currently suspended on a lift, so I can't get access to the cowl from above,  what purpose does the vacuum actuator serve that is just under the cowl grill on the passenger side?  Is that for the dash fresh air source that you mentioned Robert?  

Doug

Doug I believe the vacuum pod in the cowl opens when the factory 4 season control panel is in vent I'm not 100% sure on that. I was trying to post a picture of the tubes for a non-air car but for some reason copy and paste does not work from my laptop for work. On my 70 I took that vacuum pod out since I changed over to a non-air system, my 72 still have that vacuum pod which needs to be removed since it doesn't have air or heat.

Doug as promised here is the picture of the 70 El Camino where the upper vent ties to

elkie005.jpg  again this is a factory non-air car.

And here is a 71 Monte with factory a/c car which doesn't have the tubes coming from the cowl area like the El Camion

emmonte008.jpg

I can say I've worked all of the first gen Monte 70-72 and each one has been different.

I put kick panel vents in when removed the O.E. AC...air flow is great. Also removed the Re-circulation flapper on the rite side cowl and  plugged the unused vacuum hoses. I have a methoud  to cut the kick panel butterfly valve, from the kick panel fascia so that both pieces mount separately.   The butterfly valve should "heavy sealant" on it where it mounts into the air-hole or it will leak water in. and if you ever have to remove the kick panel, is a P.I.T.A. to remove as one big piece, especially on the drivers side. You cannot tell that the kick panel is two pieces and the vent grill fits as normal. If there is some way to attach a drawing that doesn't require a degree in computer gibberish, I'd be glad to provide.

Thanks so much, Robert...

And 72R-T,  that would be great !   What I was thinking of doing was to cut the vacuum bracket from off of the old vent, and cut the flap/chute off of the new panel.  That way, the old butterfly flap would be mounted and sealed as original, and the new panel would lie right on top with a few new screws placed in-between the existing ones that mount the original piece.  The new cable would then actuate the old vacuum flap.  It makes me cringe to be slicing up two perfectly good pieces, but that's what car-crafting is all about.   :/

Doug

Here are pics of my 71 NO A/C car vents.

BTW, I replaced all 4 knobs and levers and 3 of 4 broke already. Normal aftermarket junk!

post-76-0-18505000-1426784455_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-63295600-1426784477_thumb.jpg

This is my 4ht  #$%& attempt...getting some &%$#  "URL thingie-block" and site locks up...........Finally found the "Brouse thingie" (like Craig's List) buried in "Options"........"Add to post" @ bottom rite and "Attach this File" @ bottom left does nothing, #$%@.  I give up.  Give me a regular E-mail and I can "Click & Drag" attachment. @#$% !

20150320052244003.pdf

Great job 72R-t...   I ended up doing something very similar;   I cut out the full circumference of the vent in a puzzle-like pattern,  making it a 2-piece. 

Here are pics of my 71 NO A/C car vents.

BTW, I replaced all 4 knobs and levers and 3 of 4 broke already. Normal aftermarket junk!

I also have a factory non ac car.every spring I lubricate the vent cable. Less noisy and less resistance. The cable seems so thin on our cars!!