I think I have the wrong shifter for my muncie

farmall

Hey guys.  I am planning to start the Muncie swap and thought I would bolt the shifter up.  I ordered this shifter from Lutty's and it doesn't seem to bolt up to my transmission.  Please see the pictures and let me know if this in fact the right one or if I need a different one.

post-1241-0-24367000-1431775592_thumb.jpg

post-1241-0-22119200-1431775643_thumb.jpg

post-1241-0-28832500-1431775708_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

no.... that is the correct shifter, but you need the correct crossmember and other pieces, that shifter bolts to the crossmember and there are other braces and supports for it too

do yourself a favor!!!!!

return all that to Luttys on get a hurst shifter 3918014 and installation kit 3737834

the  factory shifters were not very good at all, even when new!!!!!, I put the original shifter in my 4 speed and am very unhappy with it

you will thank me later!!!!!

here are Hurst kits with a muncie handle!!!!

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SEARCH&_ss-t=1431776676328#/?filter.ymm_hierarchy=1970/Chevrolet/Chevelle&_=1&filter.hierarchy=Chevelle%2FTransmission%2FShifter%20Kits&page=1

Will do guys. Is there a preferred source for this set up? Is it possible to use a Muncie handle so it will look correct? Or was the Hurst shifter an option. It's not that big of a deal...just curious.

the link I provide from Ground Up is a hurst shifter and installation kit with a muncie handle, just make sure you pick the correct one for your application (bench or bucket seats) the shifter handles are different

bucket seat cars with a console used a chrome shifter ball without the shift pattern on it and bench used a black shifter ball with the shift pattern on them originally 

I am not sure of what thread those handles use 5/16 or 3/8

FW-157.jpg

FW-117.jpg

I just talked to the folks at Ground Up. To get the Hurst shifter, with Muncie handle for bucket seat and console application, the part # is FHM-69K. It is about $480.

the parts place has the shifter for 249.00

and the installation kit for 129.00

but you won't get the muncie handle, and to buy that separately is is 70.00 but you'll have to cut it off and drill it to work or buy it from ground up for 170.00

so the kit from ground up that comes with the muncie handle is the best bang for the buck, I will probably go with the parts place because I have a muncie handle I can modify and save 100.00 

I also agree with Sam, you can keep the factory look with the shifter handle being Muncie and cutting the bottom piece off and drilling new holes so they line up on the Hurst Shifter body and no one will know but you. And yes WAAAAYYYYY better for shifting its like day and night between the two.

Darren.

20140923_175742_zpsb7613e74.jpg

20140919_100717_resized_zps1033ac0a.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks much guys.  I don't know how people did this stuff before great forums and friends like we have here.  I am really excited to meet some of you next month at Carlisle.

Thanks much guys.  I don't know how people did this stuff before great forums and friends like we have here.  I am really excited to meet some of you next month at Carlisle.

Ditto and well said. :)