Upper clutch rod, which way??

farmall

Hey there 4 speed experts,

My Muncie conversion is going very well.  (Thanks to the fine folks on this forum).  I am trying to connect the clutch pedal to the z bar with the upper clutch rod or some call it a clutch firewall rod, depending who sells it.  I just cant figure out which end goes to z bar and which end goes to clutch pedal.  I have tried both ways and not having any luck.  I was trying to copy and paste the part from the Ground Up website but just cant figure out how to do that.  Anyway, it is part number FW 68 on their website ss396.com.

Many thanks.

are you ready to practice your cuss words? :k

from inside the car.....

slide the boot on the rod, the boot goes threw the firewall, not towards the pedal

the end at the pedal points towards the left, as the rod goes threw the firewall, it angles down, then straightens back out

the end at the Z bar points towards the engine

the end at the pedal must be attached first (this is where the fun starts) :lol:

I had to push the pedal down to put the rod in the pedal, I ALSO! had to take the clip off the pin for the brakes, and slide the brake pin out some

it is a PIA to get the rod in the pedal

put the rod threw the firewall then into the pedal, then the clip, then put the brake pin back together

then attach it to the Z bar, then you can finish pushing the boot threw the firewall and put the screws in it

trust me...it isn't as easy as it reads :lol:

My description is not the best but here it goes. The rod has an offset bend in it. The longer end from the bend goes to the pedal with the end pointing to the left side of car. On the z bar the end points toward the engine.

John S

It's like muscle memory, all of a sudden I started remembering words I hadn't used in 30 yrs. The key is to string them out so they make sense.....????? :confused:

are you ready to practice your cuss words? :k

I second that..... when I was working on the 4spd it was like I had Turrets all of a sudden.....

Yeah thats what it was..... so does that mean I am excused...?? :rofl:  

• 3 weeks later...

The description that you guys gave is hard to put into words.  Trying to describe how to position a crooked stick is tough.   I rigged up the rod without the boot first and swapped the ends until it seemed to stay closest to the middle of the hole.  Then I put the boot on the rod and reinstalled.