Slow turn signals

MI_Custumz

I have slow turn signals. I am thinkig it's the flasher. I haven't gotten to replacing it yet, too much else going on. Would this flasher work? It says electro-mechanical turn signal flasher. Also, is there a seperate flasher for the hazards on the 70 Monte or is it an all in one? http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/hazard-warning-flasher/novita-hazard-warning-flasher/69839_132997_7281/

Some of the bulbs may not be working, poor grounds or the flasher is wrong, there are 2, 3 and 4 bulb flashers. This is also why there is a different 4 way flasher because they draw more current and would flash too quickly if you used a regular flasher. When I had a trailer hooked up, I swapped out the t/s flasher with the 4 way flasher so I didn't have to purchase a new one.

Funny you mention this, my right t/s is slower than my left. I assume the rt ground is poorer than the left but have never been able to (haven't tried very hard) correct it.

I bought replacement bulbs one time (China) and had to throw them all out because the base was smaller and the bulb was too loose in the socket causing intermittent outages.

Bruce

I only saw that one, but didn't look real hard. That one was at the top of the fuse block on the left side I think. I am at work and can't recall what I saw, was a quick peek. Is there more than one on the fuse block? If not, where is the second one?

No, only the 4 way flasher is in the fuse block.

The regular T/S flasher came from the factory clipped into a half circle clip attached to the steering column. After 40+ years it is probably just hanging near the steering column.

Bruce

I read between 50 and 100 times per min.

When I swap out my 4 way flasher with the std flasher it blinks very very slowly, no load to heat up the coil inside the flasher.

When I added my trailer with out swapping the flasher it was very very fast.

Did it change (what did you do, change bulbs) or has it always been this way?

Bruce

Thanks for the pics. Looks like it's the same flasher, visually at least. Now I just have to get under there and look deeper. I did a quick look and nothing like that hanging down. May have to trace the wires to find it.

Try looking while it is flashing, the clicking may help guide you to it.

They attach the flasher to something so it amplifies the ticking sound. If left hanging, it isn't as loud.

Good luck. I assume you checked that all the bulbs were flashing by running the 4 way flashers and walking around the vehicle to see them?

I didn't check by walking around. I had it in the garage and turned on the 4 ways. I could see the reflection on the door and wall. Didn't look for the side marker lights. Do they flash? Didn't ever think of that. If a bulb is out, they flash faster. Had a front marker light out and it flashed faster. I think I may have located the flasher. It's yellow and mounted with a screw and bracket somehow. I didn't have time to take it apart this morning, but did locate it.

Just checked my 71, all work except both rear side markers with 4 way on, do not work, OK with T/S.

4 way flashers on:

Dash:

Left and Right both working

Front: 1 of 1 bulb Left ft, 1 of 1 bulb right ft, 1 of 1 bulb left ft side 1 of 1 bulb right ft side marker

Rear: 2 of 2 bulbs left rear, 2 of 2 bulbs right rear, 0 of 1 bulb left rear side marker 0 of 1 bulb right rear side marker

Left Turn signal test:

Left dash working

Front: 1 of 1 bulb left ft, 1 of 1 bulb left ft side marker

Rear: 2 of 2 bulbs left rear, 1 of 1 bulb left rear side marker

Right Turn Signal test:

Right dash working

Front: 1 of 1 bulb right ft, 1 of 1 bulb right ft side marker

Rear: 2 of 2 bulbs right rear, 1 of 1 bulb right rear side marker

Checked mine last night.

Turn signals: Front, rear, and dash blink

Hazards: Front, rear, and dash blink

Side marker lights don't blink, they are on when the running or headlights are on.

I haven't looked but do the ft side marker bulbs have one or two elements?

For that matter, what about the rear? I think they only have one, I should check but it's raining.

I also have a tilt column / T/S from a different, unknown car and unknown year.

Bruce