Headlight knob???

Well my headlight knob fell off, seems the plastic that threads onto the post cracked and fell apart, so there is nothing to hold it on. Does someone make a repro. or a new GM one? I just have it resting on the post now but if you grab it it falls off.

I already checked my OPG book and they didn't list one.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

What year do you need? I may have something.

------------------

70 Monte, 454, auto. 70 Monte, 454+.030, 4speed.71 Monte, 350 beater. 71 Monte SS 454. 65 Corvette coupe 365hp.

Grandpas Monte, OPGI has the headlamp switch knob attached to the rod under part# CH25379. It is listed as a 72' and has the light beam logo on the face of the knob. I know that knob was for other years as well. I am assuming you need the knob with the light beam. It lists for $16.95. They also have the the headlamp and wiper switch nut tool for $6.95 part# CC28142. Hope that helps. -Dave

Ausley's

Ausley's has it as well. Try looking under 72 Chevelle as they are the same.

This came up just in time. Mine busted over the summer as well and i was going to make some elaborate machined part but it seems that there isn't too much room in the switch so i may just buy a new one and the radio knobs to match.

My question is ... How do you get the knob, or the rod in my case out? I was reading about a button being accessed from the back but can't really get to my car to see under the dash area.

MarchieB, on the 72 El Camino I am working on, the knob fell off as well. It appears that the best way to the headlight switch is to remove the dash pad. I havent completely removed the switch but with the dash pad off the switch is right there. I will be buying a new rod and knob as well. I probably will also get the tool. - Dave

Granpa.......if its a 70 thats the only year Monte used that knob.it would be Chrome around the edge then a thin black circle followed by a thin Chrome circle and the center would be black ,about the size of a quarter. it was used in other Chevys in 70 also . perhaps check in some Impala/Caprices

72 was a black rubber coated knob with a picture symbol of a headlight. its possible 71 was like 72 or perhaps 71 didnt have the picture .

as for removing the lamp switch knob stem ...reach up from bottom of dash . on the forward end of the switch there is a little button .pull the knob stem out as if to turn on the headlights.when it is this position,push in the little button on the end of the switch. while pushing the button pull the knob stem again and it should come out of the switch . to install the new one(replacement) just push it in as though turning off headlamps.

mike

Here's how I believe the breakdown on the knob designs work:

1970: Hard black plastic knob, primarily black with an inline perimeter chrome stripe and chrome around the edge, as Mike stated above. I believe that these knobs were also used in '69 and '70 Chevelles and possibly '69 Camaros, as well.

1971: Soft black rubber coated knob. From what I know, only the SS454 models had the headlight pictogram on them in '71.

1972: Soft black rubber coated knob with the headlight pictogram on it.

That's what I believe to be correct, anyway. Someone please correct me here if I'm wrong, because I'd kind of like to make sure that I've got them figured out myself! smile.gif

Dave

------------------

I'm Just Enjoyin' That Great S-S-Sensation; Diggin' My First G-G-Generation.

Thanks everyone, I will be ordering that this week. BTW it's a 72 with the black rubber knob with headlight pict. You do have to remove the whole dash panel to replace it then? That sux! I probably won't have time to do that until after Jan. One day I will be out of my currentjob (retail) and able to enjoy the Holidays again instead of working more. Then I could learn what it is like to have a "winter project" s most of mine have been in summer/spring when it is slow fr us.

Thanks again everyone and glad soe oters had the same quetion.

I think the only thing you need to remove is the upper dash pad and not the whole panel. the pad is very easy to remove, just be careful of the clips attached to it in the area of the windshield. There are screws along the front of the pad, once they are removed you simply lift slightly on the part where the screws were and pull toward the interior of the car until the clips near the wiindshield release. The clips are mounted on the dash pad and slip into notches in the dash.

Rob

------------------

To access my website click on the picture or link below.

images...

My Two Girls

http://www.cardomain.com/id/robsmodelamonte

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

its a little tricky but you can reach the release button on the switch from the bottom , without removing the dash.

i'll see if i can take a picture of a switch to show the release button.

mike

reach up under the dash on top of the switch is a small round spring loaded button , push the knob fully in then depress the button and pull the knob out it may take a few trys sometimes they are tricky but it will come out

Leo