Fuel sending unit recommendations?

PRJCTMC

I want to replace my fuel sending unit. Anyone recommend one that I can drop in and plug and play, without having to bend or mod the sending unit?? I've heard and read a lot of ppl dropping the tank a few times before its right. Wonder if there's one that is ready to go.

Hi Jeffery....My Spectra Premium sending unit was installed once a few weeks ago and has worked perfectly ever since. :) The part number for 71/72 cars which is a 2 line sending unit (one of them is a return line) is FG91D. For the 70 Montes, it is a one line sending unit and I don't know the part number.

My 70 was a Van Nuys car and had 2 lines. One was a vent Line. If you have the charcoal box under the hood you may have a 2 line unit.

post-1188-0-97184600-1438022235_thumb.jpg This is my tank and sending unit. If I remember correctly the return line went up to some kind of vent box that went to the box under the hood. Wish my car was here so I could look.

Hi All, I'd need to double check but if I remember correctly, here's the hook-up for the 71-72 tanks.

The tubes off the sending unit go to the fuel pump....one of them is a push and the other one a pull...or another way of saying it would be....one is a fuel supply line and one is a fuel return line. The three black rubber short hoses off the front of the tank you see in Glen's photo go to the fuel separator assembly. The line from the charcoal canister also goes to the fuel separator assembly. Here's a sketch to show what I am speaking of...

Ā 

Ā 

TankLineSketch.pdf

My 71 still has all the hoses and canister and lines. I replaced the rubber hoses, some original when I found one hose with a small plastic orifice restricting vapors (I think).

Click link for pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110808817090254771768/20120530?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMum-437m4eGBQ&feat=directlink

I was fortunate enough to find a NOS unit. Paid thru the nose for it but after having three that failed due to floats that sunk and did not floatĀ it was worth it. My sending unit has 3/8 fuel line and 1/4 return line.

John S

It has the canister,but the previous owner Plugged it, when he installed the Edelbrock carb with electric fuel pump. Can I just eliminate everything except the fuel line with out it affecting its performance? Drive train isn't original so kinda defeats the purpose of hooking it all up unless it does affect performance.