Need help selecting a torque converter

silver71mc

Restoring my 71 Monte Carlo, the motor is rebuilt, and ready to be install. Need help selecting a torque converter. Info that I have,

1971 Monte Carlo,   weight 3851lbs

402 bored 30 over

Comp cam 224/230 @.50  pn 11-242-3

rpm range 1,600 to 5,800

dual plane aluminum intake, Weiand Street Warrior

670 holly carb

stock exhaust manifolds, 2.5 dual exhaust

stock heads, rebuilt

factory AC replaced with Vintage Air

TH400, stock trans

331 rear gear

tire OD 27.1",  width  10.2"

Don't want the car to try to move forward or cut off while setting at a light with the AC running.

Don't know if this is enough or the right info, but let me know what you recommend.

Thanks for the help, Paul

Paul, you'd be hard pressed to get better than Freak Show Performance converters without spending an additional $700 to $1,000.   I was first recommended to use them from YellowBullet.com :

"The converter it replaced was a holeshot 3600 B&M. With the B&M my 60's were all over the place (2.02 at worst to 1.87 at best, in one night, usualy 12.30-12.60et) when the sun went down,  the swing was worse. I was pulling my hair out...

With the new freakshow converter, off the trailer, it went a 1.79, and all 4 other passes were 1.79. The ET was the same: 12.389-12.399 (messing with shift points every pass) My MPH only fell off by .5, from before.

I am more than happy with mine. I was worried at first (buying an ebay converter, and everyone quoting me $800-$1000 for a converter), but the guy hit the nail on the head with the stall. It was the best $320 I've spent..." 

They built a lockup converter with a 2400 stall for my 4L80E and had it delivered to my door in California three days later for less than $200.   The Guys truly know their business and I am blown away that they can do what they do for such a low cost.

Since I've had my converter,  many of the guys from "Street Outlaws" have begun using Freak Show converters as well.    They certainly top my RWHP by about triple.  

(325) 701-7830 ask for Michael           https://www.facebook.com/pages/Freak-Show-Performance/347148098639532

Doug

Hey guys thanks for the info. Talked to a couple tech guys from TCI and Coan, they think 2400 - 2600 stall speed will work well. Waiting to here back from Summit. What do you guys think? Thanks, Paul

FWIW, I'm not particularly happy with the converter I got from Coan. I didn't call them, but I DID fill in all my pertinent information on their website, and they recommended a pro street converter for my application.It's wound too tight, IMO. It pulls hard against my breaks @1000 RPM. I will be replacing it in the future.

The torque that your combo should be producing will raise a TC's stall a little Paul; and Comp themselves recommend a stock TC for the 11-242-3 cam.  A 2400-2600 converter will put you well into the power range of this cam without generating the excess heat that a looser converter will produce.  I would think that you'd be well served with it.

I do not have any personal experience with either the Coan or TCI converters, as I was warned away from them by a few other driver's poor history with them... (including once by an employee of TCI)  but, the bad rep certainly might simply be due to the fact that they sell a lot of converters, and so there will be a certain percentage that end up being junk.  And those are the stories that get their dirty laundry aired.

I went with Freak Show as I just didn't want to risk the chance with my built 4l80E.

Badddion, a pro street is what they recommend I use also, that's a 2400 to 2600 stall converter, and it's trying to move the car at 1000 rpm. I don't know much about torque converters, but seems to me they got something wrong.  Picking this converter has to be the worst part of this restoration so far, going to talk to freakshow performance tomorrow. If they say 2400 to 2600 stall is correct for my setup, which is just a mild street car, then I'll have to give it a shot, and hope for the best.

Thanks Guys

Ok, talked to Michael at Freak Show Performance. He knows torque converters, and it's not very often that you get to talk to the guy who builds your part. So, I ordered a torque converter today 2400 to 2600 stall. He said it will start to move around 1800 rpms. When the car is up and running I'll let you know how it works. Thanks Bluemalibu for the help. Paul

Hey Sam, that's what I was thinking around 2,000 maybe 2,200. Here are the numbers I got from the people who know.

Summit      # TCI-241501-A    1800 to 2000

TCI             # 240900              2400 to 2600

Coan          #20211-4              2400 to 2600

Transtar                                   2300 to 2800

Freak Show                             2400 to 2600           

What did Freakshow quote for their converter?

I run a Coan 2400-2600 and really like it. No issue with it pulling at idle and I get better milage than with the stock converter.  

I've heard really good things about Freakshow though. I'm interested in your feedback once your up & running.

Scott