Old, tired mouse

GatorDog72

post-1964-0-83783500-1439867762_thumb.jpg

What should I do with it? Its the old, tired, and greasy 350 small block that came with my car. It ran when I pulled it out, but it burned/leaked about a quart of oil per week and had no power. It's not original, the stampings on the block are K01 19 TJZ. Numbers tell me the block is out of a 73 truck. Head casting numbers are 3998920. Are these worth rebuilding, or new boat anchors? No idea if it's a 4 bolt main or not until I pull the oil pan. Thinking about rebuilding this for my daily driver.

350's are proven good reliable engines.  If looking for nothing other than getting you from point A to B, baring any unforeseen problems with the Heads / Block, you already have the basics for the rebuild, so why not.  I wouldn't hesitate if that was my vision.

Doug 

I took it apart to see what was going on with it. Something looks really messed up with the heads. :confused:  It's almost like the valves aren't sitting in the seats like they should. I should post a pic. Probably extremely worn valve guides. The cylinders look ok no scoring, but it does have a pretty bad ridge at the top. Definitely needs more than just a re-ring. The good news is that it is a 4 bolt main. :yay:  :yay:  I'll have to rebuild this once I have the time, I want to do it cheaply though. No crazy builds this time.

I'll take a 2 bolt main over a 4 bolt :whistle:

I'm right there with you, Sam...   a two-bolt with splayed caps installed will give you a much stronger bottom end than a 4-bolt, so one should not automatically discount having a 2-bolt block.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm right there with you, Sam...   a two-bolt with splayed caps installed will give you a much stronger bottom end than a 4-bolt, so one should not automatically discount having a 2-bolt block.

you guys and your 4 bolt mains :huh:

I'll take a 2 bolt main over a 4 bolt :whistle:

I think if you're going to be making more power than a 2 bolt with main studs can handle you may as well go with an aftermarket block. A 4 bolt block with studs isn't going to handle much more and with the cost of going to splayed mains,an aftermarket block is money better spent. I won't spend money on modifying factory heads either when you can get much better heads out the box for similar money.

I think if you're going to be making more power than a 2 bolt with main studs can handle you may as well go with an aftermarket block. A 4 bolt block with studs isn't going to handle much more and with the cost of going to splayed mains,an aftermarket block is money better spent. I won't spend money on modifying factory heads either when you can get much better heads out the box for similar money.

This^^^ 

My big block is a studded 2 bolt main. I'm not one bit worried about it. That engine will be huffing lots of nitrous too. It really won't make any difference with this small block motor though, it will never make enough power to need splayed mains or anything like that. Just looking to do a cheap daily driver street engine. I'm thinking just re-condition the crank and rods and go with .030 over pistons. The cam that's in the engine now has some flat lobes so I'm going to replace it with a comp cams hydraulic roller Thumpr cam. I love the sound they make! :devil: My heads are trash and will need valve guides and machine work or maybe just get some Dart Iron Eagle heads. I'm trying to keep this under $2500, it shouldn't be too hard. I won't be messing with this until my Monte is finished though, it will stay on the back burner until this winter or spring next year.