Gremlins

Does anyone know what would make the fuel guage just stop working? One tank it worked the next it stop at 1/2 and I ran out of gas. lol. I filled it back up and its still at a half tank. So where do I start? Thanks

Chuck

------------------

pale340.tripod.com a>

Same thing happened to my 67'. It was the ground wire at the gas tank (green). Mine quit working when it was on full and just stayed there.

------------------

1971 Monte Carlo, 350, th350, black, black top, light sandal wood interior

1971 Monte Carlo, 350, th350, blue, blue interior

ACE VENTURA

1992 Camaro Z28 custom 25th anniversary, 355 TPI, Th700r4, 2.73 posi, arctic white, gray stripes with black border, black/gray interior

1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme, 350 Rocket, Th350, gray/gray

1967 Pontiac Catalina, 400, Th400, cameo ivory white, red interior

1979 Olds Toronado, 350 Rocket, FWD, brown, gold interior

2 other pontiacs 67 gp and 68 cat and a 83 buick Riviera

New addition: 1994 Chevy Beretta Z26

There is something wrong with the float in your tank. My 1980 Malibu did the same thing. When i first got it, the car would run out at 1/2 tank. It worked for a short period and then went back to the way it was. One day it worked again and it has been working ever since. I don't know what fixed it? Someone told me that the float was upside down causing the gas guage to read wrong and that it must have flipped over the right way when it fixed itself.

------------------

Aaron Dodsworth

Langley, BC Canada

1970 Monte Carlo

Aaron's Monte Carlo Web Site 07_26dodsww.jpg

Originally posted by Pete_72_Monte:

I agree with Rod, check your ground at the tank.

Since it's a ground, run a wire from a clean spot on the tank to a clean spot on the frame and bypass the factory ground. If it works, you have found the problem. If not, post again for more ideas.

------------------

Steve

The fuel sender is a variable ground. If the ground is perfect (no resistance) the gauge will read full scale. If the circuit is open,(very high or infinite resistance) the gauge will read full scale the other way.

So either your ground is working great, or not at all; but either way, the gauge should be at E or F...not in the middle.

I would suspect the sending unit first. It could be the gauge, or the power supply to it, but not a ground.

Gremlins? I think if you shine a bright light on them they turn to stone or something... biggrin.gif As for the sending unit, mine has the same trouble and I've been tried grounding the wire in several different spots with no luck. I even changed out the fuel tank (badly rusted) and sending unit and the guage still shows 1/4 full at the most. I think I'm going to try a new circuit board next.

Let us know if the new circuit board works to remedy the problem

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by McCall72:

Gremlins? I think if you shine a bright light on them they turn to stone or something... biggrin.gif As for the sending unit, mine has the same trouble and I've been tried grounding the wire in several different spots with no luck. I even changed out the fuel tank (badly rusted) and sending unit and the guage still shows 1/4 full at the most. I think I'm going to try a new circuit board next.</font>

------------------

My 1970 Monte Restore Pages

site1099.jpg

logo_org_pub.gifLLOYD@FIRSTGENERATIONMONTECARLO.COM logo_org_pub.gif