Ignition Box

monte70car

Since building the 72 Monte I have always though about running an ignition box after reading how much faster the car starts the smoother idle. The 72 won't see any track time while I own it. I have been looking at the following priced from $185-250

Brand MSD Ignition Mallory Ignition Summit Racing Crane Cams Manufacturer's Part Number 6425 6853M SUM-850611 6000-6440

I know alot of you run  the MSD boxes is that a better choice for a street car? Almost whats your take on mounting the box inside the car behind the dash (no heat box on the inside firewall)? Motor is a 427 tall deck with an alum dual plane intake and will most likely receive either the extra 750 vacunm secondray Holley or I will try the EFI system one more time.

I'm installing an MSD 6AL-2 programmable today in my 72. I ran the same box in the car before I pulled the motor and it made a HUGE difference in how the engine started. The box can be mounted anywhere under the hood or in the car under the dash. I can't remember how I had the trigger wire hooked to the old HEI distributor, I think it came with a pigtail adapter plug. I switched to a new MSD Pro-Billet dizzy and it has a magnetic pickup to trigger the box.

Robert,  my experience mirrors that of Ryan.   I suspended my 6AL  between the glove box and the HVAC controls on the dash...  after having moved it from the inside firewall as I installed the Custom Auto Air box.  A Blaster HVC coil also fits inside, connected to the billet distributor with MSD's  long coil wire.  This feeds through a 2" rubber grommet below the distributor in the firewall to make a sanitary under-hood.     

I'm in the same boat,thinking of the MSD to smooth out the Idle , extra spark for street driving. What about the " Second Strike - Pertronix"  anyone have any one? Sam you said you switched to the DUI Distributor, that is better for you than running with the MSD box ?  Sorry not trying to Hi-jack the post . 

for those of you that think a MSD is a miracle cure all, you are very wrong!

if you experience better starting and/or less misfires, it is because you have gotten a better coil to provide a better spark

a MSD provides multiple sparks, a DUI has a longer dwell which means the spark lasts longer, to me I like the longer spark than the multiple sparks, I've used a 6AL, 7 DIGITAL, a ready to run MSD dizzy, a pro-bilet dizzy, factory HEI, I have raced with each and had ZERO improvements on my time slips

the main thing is to get the best spark possible to ignite the air/fuel mixture, have your timing/advance set properly to spark at the optimal time, the multiple sparking helps, as does the long dwell spark, I prefer the longer dwell, (one longer duration spark)  

Snomobeelr...as far as smoothing out your idle, the only thing that will help your idle will be a cam swap, you have a bunch of overlap (tight LSA), run as much initial timing as possible and as high of an idle speed as you can (I have the same thing with my Thumpr cam)