I NEED HELP

Rob Peters

As I have posted before I am in the process of detailing my engine compartment. I got an original style plated power brake vacuum booster for christman and thought I would get a new original style master cylinder. I was going to just paint my original master cylinder and buy a new plated cap for the old one but then I was told my old one is not original and must be a replacement master cylinder. It was suggested I go to some parts stores and request a rebuilt master cylinder and I would more than likely get an original sytle. Every place I go they show me the exact master cylinder I currently have on my car. Here is a link to my website so you can look at the master cylinder I currently have on my vehicle. I hope someone can tell me if it is an original style or not. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/294862/5

I was told the original style was not as tall as the one I have and also that the original one was wider.

Just for kicks, while at the auto parts store I asked them to show me a master cylinder for a 71/72 Monte (I know that the 71/72 master cylinder is different than the 70).The one they showed me looks like the one I was thinking should be on the 70.

Now I am wondering if maybe I actually have an original one on my car.

Two different auto parts stores told me their supplier of rebuilt master cylinders only rebuilds the original equipment master cylinders and the one that they are showing me is a rebuilt original master cylinder. Again, the one they are showing me is identical to the one I have on my car.

Sorry for the long post but could someone tell me if the one I have on my car is original or a replacement master cylinder.

Now to throw another wrench in the works. Here is a link to Aaron's car from his website. http://www.riversidecorvetteclub.com/AaronsPictures/Monte142.jpg His master cylinder is even different than any of the ones I have been shown for either the 70 or 71/72. Is this like the one I should have. The more I look into this, the more confused I get.

I am beginning to think that the one on my car is the original master cylinder since the entire suspension was the original when I rebuilt it a couple years ago and also becuase it is a low mileage car.

Thanks

Rob

The master cylindr on aarons car is the heavy duty master cylinder, Vettes Camaros and my 77 silverado 3/4 ton camper special all I have the same cylinder, Im not sure what the difference between them are though, then you start getting into the bendix type of cylinder which is square as opposed to the Delcos being round.

Rob my car is a laughing matter as far as exact matching equipment for the respective year (70) but I also have the same master cylinder as Aaron has (the shorter fat one).

This might not help but adds a bit of spice to the dilema doesn't it ? :rolleyes:

Dave

I have seen this issue come up before. The master cylinder could be shaped like a pyramid or a sphere and as long as the mounting bolt patern is the same and the piston is the same, the parts catalog will say it is correct. Mechanically it is identical, therefore it is the same! To the catalogs, original and interchangable are synonymous. My master cyl is not the original, and isn't like either Robs'OR Aarons'! Mine looks a tad shorter than Robs' and has sharper corners. Mine looks more rectangular than oval.

I learned here at the FGMCC that the original master had bleeders just above where the brake lines go in. I can't confirm this, it's just what someone here had previously said. My master has the casting bosses for those bleeders, but they were never drilled & tapped.

my '72's doesn't look like robs.. no idea if it's orginal or not...

The 71 and 72 shared the same master cylinder but the 70 was different. I need information on the original style Master cylinder for the 70.

Rob

Hey, I bought my 70 in Nov. and the car is as origional as origional can be. The master has the bleeders on both sides. It just started leaking so I purchased a relacement "Raybestos" (dont know about that spelling), its shorter, flatter and somewhat oval in appearance without any bleeders.It also has 2 fasteners that hold the cover down instead of just one. The bolt pattern lines up and the piston fits. Took it out for it's 1st ride and the pedal was nice and firm...No complaints....AL

hi rob, my '70 monte has the two bails for securing the cap on the master cly. as on aaron's monte. i replaced mine with one from napa auto parts. they have them new and made in usa.i checked napaautoparts.com and they have them in stock for $84.99 the part # is 39018. this master cly. matched my original one except for the bleeders on the cyl.itself. hope this help out. virgil,restorod4u