What would you do? and how would you proceed?

Rock

I would give that a sanding to get it as smooth as possible and shoot it with rattle can aqua/black speckle paint. I gave mine several coats letting it dry to the touch between coats. It has held up nicely for 4 years so far. :)

I cleaned mine real good and got all of the loose tuff off then painted mine with a gray and white speckle paint and then the clear coat and it has held up real well for 2 1/2 yrs. It took five or six cans to get mine covered with the speckle paint.

Duplicolor trunk paint is what I used and I've had 0 issues. Here's a good kit you can purchase from OPGI.

https://www.opgi.com/monte-carlo/1971/trunk-panels-accessories/trunk-mats-boards/520902/

Pretty sure I will need more than one can of each product but I do like where you are going....Thanks.

I think I used 6 cans of color and two cans of clear but I could have used another can or two of the color and another clear as I have a couple of thin spots where the darker color shows thru. My trunk carpet covers those areas though. I went from the dark gray with aqua speckles to the light gray with white speckles. I prefer the lighter color