1970 or 71 steering wheel?

John Burns

I'm curious about the steering wheel on my 1970 Monte- is it possible a 71 wheel made it on from the factory, or was this replaced later? The build sheet has the date August 20- Baltimore plant.

there are 4 possible styles that i know of that could be correct depending on the year and model of monte. A pic of your steering wheel would help to identify it.

Here are the 4 that i know of

Steer.JPG

1= 70 standard

2= 70 /71 SS

3= 71/72 stamdard

4= 72 Sport/Custom

not sure how correct this is tho

I believe in 1970 only, the 3-spoke "cushion grip" wheel was available as an option also. This is the way to go in my opinion. Very good looking wheel, and not hard to find since they came on many Buicks and Chevelles etc. Why pay for a boring standard wheel? If you find one that is not the right color, just clean it real well and paint it with a "vinyl" paint. It will look great. Much better looking than the 4-spoke Camaro type black wheel, which by the way is not correct for 70.

i'm pretty sure (as i believed otherwise at one point) that #2 is the whell that came with the SS's. But hopefully someone else will confirm that.

Also does anyone know if there were any other factory avaliable steering wheels other than the 4 that i posted?

Well Marchie I guess that part of being a used car sales man never leaves when you see opportunity knock you have to open the door before they change their mind. lol

Marchie- Thanks for the pixs. The wheel I have is #3. Is there any reason to believe they ran out of 70 wheels at the end of the run and slapped on a 71? Either way, I'd prefer #1!

Yes, it is not uncommon for GM dealer to use the next year parts on an end of the run if they are out of stock to finish their current run. The question still remains is that what they did. This may plague you for a long time, I would find a 70 wheel and nobody would know but you and everyone that read this post...lol

I'm not sure, but I thought wheel #2 was only available on the '71 SS454's & the '72 Custom's that had tilt wheel.

'70 SS454's had the standard wheel #1, unless the optional (NK1) 3 spoke sport wheel was ordered.

Here is a pic of that wheel in my '70,

278787_6.jpg

Just another note, 70BlackCherry said something about painting the wheel to match, in '70 Chevrolet only offered this wheel was in black. Other Gm models used this wheel also & did offer different colors.

Does anyone out there know where i might find the wood grain insert that goes with wheel #1? Mine had a few whear marks on the wood. I painted it black,But i'm not happy with it. RCR

MarchieB,

The sport wheel #2 was an option in 1971. I ordered it for my NON SS car (No Tilt on it then). My friend bought a new SS shortly after seeing my Monte and he did NOT have the sport wheel. I think more were found on the 1972 models than 71. They also offered the sport wheel on the Vega, Camaro and Chevelle. I don't know if they were excatly the same or not. I remember a kid in High School got a Vega GT the same time I got my Monte he referred to my sport wheel as a Vega GT wheel. confused

Mine is badly worn (smooth) from 140,000 miles and 32 years but I'll keep it since it came with the car.

Bruce

This person does restoration on the 1970 steering wheel insert. It might be worth a try, I bought mine from him off eBay and it looks good.

joevijil@adelphia.net

JOE VIJIL

234 WEST WALNUT AVE.

MONROVIA, CA 91016-3343

Phone 626 359-5400

As a late August built car, it is very possible that the factory ran out of 70 wheels and used a 71 wheel on your car. Strange things happen at the end of a model run. Proving this happened is the problem. With out proof, you will always be told you have the wrong wheel. You can look for proof, live with the "experts" telling you that your wheel is wrong, or replace it with a 70 wheel. Your choice. I like the smaller 71 up wheel and have changed several cars to that wheel over the years. The 70 wheel is being reproduced so finding one is no problem. As far as I know, the center is not reproduced. You will need a used, restored, or NOS one.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr70Monte:

278787_6.jpg

Now I am definately NOT an expert on this, but This is the first time I've seen a wheel like this one! (I think :rolleyes: ) My 70 has wheel #1
Thats the same wheel I have on my car now. I thought those were 70 SS steering wheel options also. I know GM offered them on thier SS models for sure though. As far as Montes I'm not for sure on that but I figured they probably did as an option.

Jon.

The picture number 1 is the the wheel I remember being in my original 70. Picture number 2 is of Option number NK4 Sport Steering Wheel (4 spoke Black) It was first optioned in 1971. The other optional wheel in 71 was listed as option NK2 Custom Steering Wheel (black) I believe that was wheel number 3. The three spoke wheel in the other picture is the same on my 70SS. It was listed as option NK1 Cushioned rim Steering wheel.

It was known as the Super Sport style or Corvette style 3 spoke wheel. Chevy used it on various cars From the mid sixties thru 1970.