Carb rebuild advice

G71

1971 350 2bbl

After many years of other priorities my objective is to get my 71 up and reliably running.

Overall it's a pretty solid vehicle (Arizona car) but has seen very, very limited use over the last 8 years, being started maybe once every year on average. Of course i will be going through the entire car, tuneup, lines hoses etc.

I have started the car several times lately and the motor "appears" to be running ok.

I realize stale sitting fuel is not a good thing, So i know i am starting with a reliable base, My questions are...

1) should i have the carb rebuilt

2) should i change the gas tank

Fuel stabilizer was not used very much and the tank was only half to quarter full this whole time.

Thanks for the opinions

I would maybe drop tank and flush it out, no need to change unless its bad, flush the lines and check them all. New filter and look at carb to see condition (is it real ugly dirty?) What carb is it? can you rebuild it yourself or have to send out to have done. Or possably upgrade? Good luck with it.

I might be tempted to siphon out the old gas, fill it up with new and see what happens. Put a clear external filter in front of the carb and see if any stuff starts showing up. Gunk running through your fuel pump won't do it any favors if there is something there, but you should be able to figure it out pretty quickly with the filter. Some guys put a filter before the fuel pump, but they aren't really designed to work that way. I had a similar scenario and ended up with this weird sand like substance I assume was stuff drying on the inside of the tank and falling in. Ended up getting it cleaned out and sealed. It would be nice if you didn't have to go through that work and expense. 

Ditto, my Monte was sitting for 4 years before I bought it. My son and I took tank out and flushed it, interior of tank was amazingly in good shape. I replaced the fuel filter that previous owner added to the line before carb with clear filter to see if any debris in gas line, there were none.

Another member here suggested to use supreme gas 93 over lower octane which I noticed improvement in idling.