1972 Monte Carlo Protect-o-plate Decoding

alex's72fgmc

Protect-o-plate Decoding

Ah the infamous protect-o-plate…. All of you are seeking for it or wish you had it. Guess what me to… but I did come into possession of a protect-o-plate for a 1972 Monte Carlo. Those of you that do have one here is the way to decipher that mess of numbers on that pesky plate. As you can see below “which is a mirror image of how the protect-o-plate looks.”

A- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1--H--5--7--J--2--R-5--6-2--5--6-4

B- T 0 3 2 5 C K D - - - - - - - - - - 1--8--2

C- - C K D 0 8 3 2 - - - C - - - - - - - - - -3 - - -1 - - - - - - - - - D

=- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

WYNDELL, PATE

RT 1 BOX 114

DELTA ALA 6/12/72

***Note the (=-) row tells you what section lines A through C start at and correspond with.

Ok here is how you decode these things. Row “A” starts off at section A-15 and goes to A-27. This Row has the Vehicle identification number.

“1H57J2R562564”

A-15 1- Chevrolet “division identifier”

A-16 H- Monte Carlo “model of car”

A-17 5

A-18 7- Two door hard top coupe

A-19 J- “RPO L48” 350 4 BBL 175 HP “engine code identifier”

A-20 2- Year of car 1972 “last digit of year”

A-21 R- Arlington, TX

A-22 5

A-23 6

A-24 2

A-25 5

A-26 6

A-27 4- Sequence Number

Row “B” Starts off at B-1 though B-19

“T0325CKD 182”

B-1 T- Tonawanda engine plant “B-1”

B-2 0

B-3 3- March “3rd month of year”

B-4 2

B-5 5- 25th day of the month

B-6 C

B-7 K

B-8 D- Optional Engine, 4 speed, 4 bbl carburetor, Turbo-Fire 350, 350 Cubic Inch V-8 (RPO-L48) “B-6/B-8”

B-9-14 Spaces B-9 through B-14 are blank

B-15 1

B-16 8

B-17 2- Julian date of transmission

Please note that the transmission data "B-15-17" was stamped like this even though the assembly manual states something a little different.

"Chevrolet Transmissions: use source and date.

Opel Trans: use coding stamped on unit.

Hydra-matic: use coding stamped on unit plate except that the large "C" prefix & the large single alpha suffix are to be dropped.

Buick: stamp appropriate code (JA) followed by the 3 digit julian date."

so B-15 Should have a letter like the following:

A= Jan B= Feb C= Mar D= Apr E= May

H= Jun K= Jul M= Aug P= Sep R= Oct

S= Nov T= Dec

Row “C” Starts off at C-2 through C-25

“CKD0832 C 3 1 D”

C-1 Blank

C-2 C

C-3 K

C-4 D- 2.73:1 rear axle ratio

C-5 0

C-6 8

C-7 3- Julian date

C-8 2- 2nd shift

C-9 Blank

C-10 Blank

C-11 C Carburetor source code B= Bay City, C= Carter, H= Holly, R= Rochester

C-12 Blank

C-13 Blank

C-14 Blank

C-15 Blank----- Power Steering code RPO N40 (Which a “1” would be stamped here if it has the option)

C-16 Blank----- Power Brake code RPO J50 (Which it was standard so no option code showed in this place)

C-17 3----- Radio code RPO U63, U69, U79, UM1 & 2 “Yes it could be any one of these radios”

C-18 Blank----- Disc Brake code RPO JL2 (Which was standard so no option code showed in this place)

C-19 1----- Air Conditioning code RPO C-60

C-20 Blank----- Power Window code RPO A-31 (Which a “3” would be stamped here if it has the option)

C-21 Blank

C-22 Blank

C-23 Blank

C-24 Chevrolet “Bow Tie” symbol

C-25 D- April “Month produced”

• Like 1

Alex,

What you have taken the time to do is great, thanks!

I found this web site for Mustangs and was wondering if anyone can program one up for our FGMC site. Don't know if it's possible but I think it would be a cool add on to the site (if it works). One for the body tag would be cool also.

Bruce

Mustang Decoder

the only thing on that bruce would be that i have no idea how they did that programing "not that cpu savy" so to speak there is one on tag decoding as well in the technical section "not auto style like the mustang site." Right now i am working on the years i have at my house "mainly 72" but as soon as i can get the books and info for the remaining first gen years then it will be complete. well more to ensue after i have more money "as it always is" I will check with some data base guys at work to see if they can do something for us.

alex

P.S.

Bruce could you send me the info off of your protecto plate and what type of trans you have "should be on the plate rivited to the tranny or stamped on the tranny" thanks

Alex, This is great. And the geatest of the great is C17. So, without a "3" would mean radio deleted. That simple? This info need to be place in "Tech Info" under Monte Carlo Archives. It's too important to lose. Ed

This post has been edited for clarity.

acually Ed,

I mistook your queston when i sent you an e-mail but if you have any information reguarding this please send it to me. If it has the number it will have the option. so looking at the post you will see that The purchaser ordered it with a 350 l-48 engine "with 4bbl carb from carter" drum brakes, manual steering, with a radio and air conditioning. which just seams odd but to each there own.

alex

i will look into getting a buddy to help with some cgi coding to make it a automatic option may take a while to complete though.

Voo, I've been looking into this...I don't have any info on protect-o-plates, but if I had it, it'd be no problem for me to write up a form for it.

I don't want to sound too much like a newbie, but where are the protect-o-plates normally found? I'm going to be pulling the interior out of my '71 this weekend - can't wait to see if the build sheet is still intact!

Protecto plates are part of the warrenty packet that are given to the original owner of the vehicle apon purchase. so if you got any paperwork with the car look for it in the warrenty packet.

alex

Drat! None of that good stuff unless it's floating around in the interior somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Alex for doing this. I bought a protect o plate book because I got the original paperwork and protect o plate with my 72 El Camino. Had some difficulty with some of the decoding because of a lack of the book explaining. Of course it could be my stupidity. Your first post helped alot. Thanks again. - Dave

Alex, it has been listed on ebay. It is kind of a pocket size version. I can get more specifics when I get home. I would like to get a more detailed version sometime. - Dave

Alex, the book is called "Decoding Guide - General Motors Protect-O-Plate" by Paul Herd(PAH Publishing). It covers models 65-72 Camaro, Chevy II, Chevelle, Corvette, Corvair, Impala, Monte Carlo. It is just a thin spiral bond book. I am still having problems with the second half of line B (B2B23). Most of line C is still giving me problems (GCC049 spaces R spaces 1133 spaces C bowtie). Alex, any help would be appreciated. Keep in mind, this protect o plate is for a 72 El Camino custom(Chevelle cat. of book). Thanks - Dave

b2b23??? most likely trans stamping on the plate but i am not sure

GC= 2.73:1 rear ratio

C= buffalo plant

049= julian date "actually made in feb. of 72

R= rochester carb

1=Power Steering code

1=Power Brake code

3=Radio code

3=Disc Brake code

are there spaces between your numbers above and could you send me a jpg picture of it? so i am giving you the right info.

also did your car have a/c in it?

C= march month made

bowtie

alex