Thermostat 160 or 180 ?

snomobeelr

I did a search and see most people appear to run a 180 thermostat... I have a 454 - 60 over with 10.1 compression and aluminum oval port heads No A/C. 3.73 gear and th-400 - no overdrive ...  I am running a 4 core Radiator and a stock Clutch fan and edlbrock high flow water pump. I was running a 180 Thermostat. Car ran about 185 to 190  around town. When I was on a stretch of road that was 55 MPH she would go to 195  but did not  go over 200. I thought the car should stay around the 180-185 mark. I realize the tempature is up from running higher rpms  but wondered if I went to a 160 thermostat if that would be better or worse ?

That shows your radiator isn't cooling to the needs of your engine, a 160 Stat will only help slightly

You know if your cooling system is adequate if it stays near the thermostat rating

Some quality electric fans may help

I would look into how efficient the radiator is performing itself.  Flow restrictions in the radiator will affect operating temperatures.  How old is that 4 core radiator?  Water Pump another restriction possibility.

I had a factory HD Radiator in mine.  Swapped the motor from a 350 to 402 CI and immediately starting have trouble controlling engine temp.  My Radiator was plugged and limited the water flow thus causing overheating.  I replaced that radiator with a 2 Core Aluminum Radiator and haven't looked back since.  I believe my engine operating temperature is now performing about 190 degrees but will use a thermal infrared gun to verify that on next upcoming trip.  Our Factory Temp Gauges don't provide accurate measurements! 

Doug 

I had the radiator with the old set up. I bough it new back in probably 1990 - 91( ya that was a long time ago) ,  I ran it with a 454  with 9 1/2 to 1 compression with steel 781 heads and a flex  fan and a stock steel water pump. She ran always 180 185. During this  rebuild  I did take the Radiator to a Radiator shop to have them pressure test and clean it So don't think it is the radiator but could be Whats the deal with drilling a hole in the Thermostat is that an extra precaution for air in the system?  I always ran the bypass hose. 

• 1 month later...

I hope I'm not too late to comment on this, lol.

From my experience (recently) learning about big block chevy's and operating temperatures, 200 degrees is natural, but it depends upon what YOU are comfortable at.  

My grandfather who used to drive vehicles (old chevy trucks, big chevy work trucks, etc etc) that had 454's in them, it wasn't unnatural to see 200 degrees.

180 degrees seems to be the preferred number nowadays with hot rods and muscle cars.  

In my opinion and my preference: I use 180 degree thermostat in my 454 Monte Carlo- here's why: it gives the engine "more of a flex point for temperature." let me explain and give an example.

when my Monte is running at 180 all day long, I'm ecstatic. I love it. Nice running engine temperature. As for the engine, 180 degrees seems to operate the engine fine.

when my Monte is running at 190 all day long, I'm good. I'm not ecstatic about it, but I'm not hating it. As for the engine, 190 degrees seems to operate the engine fine.

when my Monte is running at 200 all day long, I'm not happy. Why? Because I PREFER 180. I know I'm not overheating, YET I know that 200 degrees (from my experience and learning) is natural; but I PREFER 180. As for the engine, 200 degrees seems to operate the engine fine.  

To my point, when you start at 180 degrees, "you have" 20 degrees flex of engine increasing temperature to the point of "yeah the engine will still be just fine running at 200 degrees."  Make sense? Flex is what I shoot for.  More of a "just in case thermostat" i guess. lol

If you've understand what I typed above, it comes down to preference.  180 is a common preference for most hot rod and muscle car enthusiasts nowadays, HOWEVER, don't forget, it's not unnatural to see a big block run more than 180 degrees- meaning it's natural to see that temperature gauge go up to 200 degrees, and the motor will be fine. 

Again, this is just based off of my personal experience with my car, as well as what I've learned over the past few months with my car and talking with others.

Hope this helps or gives you an idea of what to do. 

Kevin G.

remember these engines originally came with a 195 stat

160 is too cold, 180 is ok, engines need to have enough heat to burn off condensation, I like to see mine at 190, if its a race engine then yes I like to see lower temps