New B & M not shifting need help

Cali4nia Monte

Hi,

We just replaced our old TH350 with a new B & M TH350, the old one was working but was leaking like a sieve all seals were gone and it was slipping.

We installed the new TH350, with a 3000 stall speed converter & trans cooler. Now our problem is that the new tranny will only go in park, 1st, Reverse and Neutral, it will not shift into 2nd or 3rd gear. We have a B & M Quick Shift Ratcheting Floor shift that was fine with the old tranny.

Does anyone have a clue why it might not be going into 2nd and 3rd?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes I know it is because I helped Mike hook it up. He has tried everything he knows and we just cant figure out whats up.

The old tranny worked ok but was a big leaker. They are both th350's only we went from a 2100 stall speed converter to a 3000, because the car just would not sit still at a stop light it just wanted to lunge forward the whole time. You had to practically two foot it. We also added the trans cooler, we didn't have one of those before.

We're just at a loss?

Jaylene

i'd disconnect the shift linkage.. and see if you can ratchet the trans thru all; the gears first..

P, R, N, D, 2, 1

if you can do that.. I'd stick it in drive.. the CAREFULY start the car and see if it'll go into drive w/o the shift linkage..

if it won't.. all B&M somthing is MAJOR wrong.

the TH350 can be drivin w/o a kick down cable just fine...

it should go into gear.. vac. modulator or not..

I was just thinking that maybe the kickdown cable was in the stretched position. You know; the trans thinking you are driving at full throttle.

Years ago I had a bright idea that I would hook my electric kickdown switch (TH400) to my shift knob instead of the throttle linkage. I figured I could have better control of the trans by pushing the button whenever I wanted.

The trans did some of the weird stuff you describe. I would push the button at light throttle or deceleration and the trans seemed to freewheel. Upshifts seemed to take forever. It wasn't until the engine rpms would get to the "about to blow up" stage that the trans governor would force an upshift. Lots of times a modified trans will have a recalibrated governor to allow higher engine rpm's before the forced upshift. If that were the case, common sense would tell you to let up on the gas before the trans shifts/engine blows.

The manual kickdown switch didn't work out so well. Seems the factory had a pretty good idea by making the automatic automatic.

I just remembered how crazy my otherwise good trans acted when I pushed that kickdown button when it wasn't needed.

Well I guess we'll be calling B & M, we have tried everything we can think of and everything you guys have suggested and no luck. Mike says it really feels like its a vacuum problem but he's sure he has everything hooked up correctly, and it was all working fine before the switch, so who knows.

Anyhow thanks,

Jaylene

Well after leaving messages yesterday and today with no response and then waiting on hold for an eternity I finally got through to B & M....they said...HHHHMMM sounds like it could be an internal problem, dont know what to tell you, if you try and open it up yourself you'll void your warranty, send it in!

Just what I wanted to hear...fork out more money on it to ship it back to them. Hopefully the speed shop Mike bought it at will take it back...he spends enough $$ in there and it was faulty off the get go.

Wish us luck,

Jaylene

• 3 weeks later...

Whooo Hoooo after two weeks of listening to Mike complain about his brand new tranny being defective....B& M finally sent him the new replacement and its in. The guys at the speed shop said its only like the 5th tranny that was defective in like 15 years...had to be Mikes didnt it!

He says its awesome...it'll chirp the tires in second gear...I can't really tell the difference, except for when we are at a stop the car doesnt lunge forward anymore, but thats because he replaced the 2100 torque convert with a 3000...but he's happy so Im happy.

My wife is very suportive of all of my Hotrod endevors. But she in no way compares to the level of involvement that you have exibited on this post. Mike is one lucky guy!....Ken

Thanks Ken,

I try to be as helpful on here as possible....it keeps my hands clean lol Thankfully we have a 16 year old son who gets to be his helper these days.

He is still having some difficulty with the shifting. At Christmas time I got him a B & M Megashifter, as a replacement for the factory column shift, he installed it and it was working fine with the old transmission and he loved it.

Then we bought this brand new B & M TH350 and thats where the trouble began, the first one was defective....he went nuts trying to get it to work and then we finally sent it back.

In the mean time he put the old transmission back into the car 1. Because he couldn't stand not being able to drive it! and 2. So he could feel confident that it was the new tranny and not some installation boo boo on his part. Again the junky old leaking tranny went in and had no problems shifting at all.

So now he has taken the old tranny back out and installed the 2nd new B&M, it shifts into 2nd and 3rd, which the 1st new one would not do at all! But he is having trouble with the Megashifter, its just not working right? They are both B & M products so you would think they would be compatible?

Now the only different application between the old old TH350 and the new B&M TH350 is that when we bought the new transmission we also upgraded to a 3000 stall speed converter from a 2100 because the car would just lunge when we came to a stop. Could the torque converter be part of the problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...poor Mike is pulling his hair out!

Thanks In Advance,

Jaylene

hi Jaylene from what ive read mike might have to big of a stall for a stock motor. a fairly stock motor should have about 2500 stall. with a 3000 stall u have to get it to idel alot higher. as far as the shifter he might need to adjust the cable. u could also ask trans shops in ur area about the size of stall needed, ive dealt with 700r4.com out in cal on my trans they r very nice people.

I don't think our motor is stock..here is the information that came with it:

New GM 4 Bolt main with one piece rear main seal.

Forged steel crankshaft w/3.480 stroke, micro polished chamfered, balanced with balancer and flex plate

New 4340 steel "I" beam connecting rods with ARP bolts.

Hypereutetic flat top piston 9.1 to 1 compression and single Moly piston ring

New Hydraulic roller cam and lifter set. .501"/.512" lift, 224/230 degrees duration at .050" 111 lobe separation.

Full aluminum roller rocker arms 1.5 to 1 ratio

New performer cast iron cyclinder heads, slightly modified to match cam profile, with 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust, stainless valves.

Double roller timing gear set

Hardened push rod set.

Edelbrock Endura Shine intake manifold (the Endura Shine was a surprise, I called the machine shop building the engine and had them add that, it was my early Christmas present to him since the motor was delivered on 12/22)

A Holly 650 dual feed carb.

It has 377hp and 385 Torque.

Except for the 377 horse....the rest is all latin to me.... lol But I know its not stock. He had me reprint him the mega shifter instructions again. Like I said he had it working perfectly with the old tranny, but just hasn't been able to dial it in with the new one.

He's working on it now...I have my fingers crossed, Jaylene