halo vinyl roof in 1970

I have been looking back through stuff, but I can not find this. I believe I read in here that the 1970 halo vinyl roof tops were changed in later production ( of 1970) to be a full vinyl roof. Could someone help me on this, I am getting a headache looking for it. frown.gif Thank you so much...

Squeak,

I believe that all the first generation Monte Carlos equipped with vinyl tops from the factory used a "halo" design, as they left a strip of body color around the side window drip rails and left the A-pillars body color.

In '70 the vinyl stopped short of the windshield trim for what I believe was most of the year, which left body color above the windshield, as well. Later on in the '70 production run the vinyl went all the way TO the windshield trim.

Both ways are considered to be a "halo" design, as a true "full vinyl top" would have the vinyl running all the way to the side window drip rails and down the A-pillars, as well. I have seen FGMCs with full vinyl tops like that, but I believe that they were either dealer-installed, or installed later by an upholstery/top shop or by the owner.

Hope this helps with the headache, and doesn't end up making it worse! wink.gif

Dave

------------------

I'm Just Enjoyin' That Great S-S-Sensation; Diggin' My First G-G-Generation.

aubreyt213,

I've got an explaination and pictures on my web site here: http://www22.brinkster.com/aaronsmonte/Statistics.htm It is near the bottom if the page.

------------------

Aaron

1970 Misty Turquoise Monte Carlo

My Monte Carlo Web Site

Monte131a.jpglogo_iamca.gif

If your wife ever says "Come and move this transmission so I can take a bath," You might be a Gearhead.

Like dave said,

a "full halo" is early 70. it has body color all the way around the vinyl top, including above windshield.

a "halo" style is *late 70* through-72 and it is just like a full halo except that it goes all the way around the windshield.

a "non-halo" is where the vinyl goes all the way to the drip rails.

the big problem is that here in the land of monte carlo when someone says just "halo" they are usually referring to "full halo". confused?

most people when talking about halo vinyl roof mean the early 70 models that do not come fully to the front windsheild and have the extra piece across the front , there were no 71 or 72 models factory equipped and no late year 70 models either , if a late build 70 or 71 72 have this option it was dealer installed , owner installed or the vin tage from a 71 or 72 model was placed on a early 70 body shell

Leo

Here's a pic i took and The NMCOA meet in Clevland this year. (with this topic in mind) It is of Les & Karen's car i believe.

Halo.JPG

MarchieB