Will the Muncie SM 465 fit?

Malyc

A co-worker is buying an '89 Chevy one ton to swap the engine into his '86, and it's got a 4 speed manual. Near as I can figure it's an SM465, and I was wondering if that'd fit in the monte, and how much of what's on the truck I could use.

Normally a truck manual transmission (especially a 1-ton) is too different to even consider putting in a car, but you know what they say....You can do anything with enough money.

I don't know if this equates to an '89 model, but I pulled an engine & manual trans from a 2wd '76 1-ton chevy. The trans had a granny low gear, which really equates to a 3-speed, because you'll not use 1st gear.  The other biggie, was the shifter was top mounted, meaning it didn't have the normal shifter side mounts and external linkage rods, all the linkage was internal and it was a super heavy unit. The only thing that possibly could be used in a car is the flywheel, if it matches the balance of your engine, internal or external and the clutch mount holes match the clutch you want to use, 10 1/2", 11" or 12".

If it's a 4wd that may open another can of worms with the transfer case.  On the other hand...a 4wd monte would turn some heads if you want a serious project.... :nutz:

I would look elsewhere.

Scott

Fit ? well of course it will . But 18" square hole in the floor might be more then the average shift boot will cover . From memeory of all the trucks I have had I would say the botom of the case of a 465 or the newer MM version is probably 2 inches lower than the automobile  4 speeds . The top of the shift tower would be about 4" higher. 

1st gear is not synchro but you can pull a freight train if you have the traction . 

• 2 weeks later...

truck transmissions also shift slow because of the weight, you have to wait for them to change gears, not like a performance transmission that you can slam the gears