transmission fluid ?

Mister

Earlier this year I bought a stage 3 200 4R trans from BTO and a a friend of mine was telling me that he read somewhere that the     mercon V trans fluid is great for the 200...so I was wondering if this is true or not and wanted to see what others here with 200,s run in theirs? Thanks in advance for any input, $.02, and 411!

I will preface my reply with this comment,... talking about fluids whether organic or synthetic or by brands is like talking about politics.  Everyone thinks there choice is the only correct one based on supposed experience.

I know alot of places that build custom transmissions whether Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc., will either recommend Mercon or include it with the tranny upon delivery.  There is a high volume of people that think it is better than Dexron.   My recommendation to you is this.  If you are going to thrash or beat on your machine with quick acceleration and downshifting, etc., change the fluid often.  That would be considered severe duty.  With regards to a tranny, drain the pan and refill what you took out.   Organic transmission fluid that stays above 200 degrees and higher, degrades quickly.  In some instances 10,000 miles.

I am not going to get into brands I recommend or types of fluid.  They're all at least decent.  Hope that helps at least a little bit. - Dave

• Like 2

It's more of a personal choice. We have two bowtie overdrive 700r4 stage 2 trans one has regular B&M trick shift and the other has synthetic B&M trick shift can't tell the difference between the two other then the color of the bottle and the color of the fluid. Our 70 El Camino has Amsoil in it and my 72 will run Royal purple fluid there is no reason why we picked the fluid we did.

I agree with Dave

but use what BTO told you to use in their trans 

I agree....Some places will void a warranty if you don't use the product they recommend.

rob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...