is it rare to have a cloth interior?

my monte has a black bench cloth interior. Who here has cloth and what is a good replacement for the cloth cuz my front seat is kinda worn and i want to recover the seats with something that will look good

------------------

• 69 custom camper/cst 10
  • 70 monte carlo
  • 73 chevelle 4 door

deluxe"kermit": no carpet(rubber floor) no floor, no trunk still drives (D.Ot'd finally)

• 74 cheyenne super 20 454
  • 77 fully loaded silverado

that my Grandpa gave me

• 1980 BMW 320i(at least it isnt Japanese)
  • 1981 ford f150 4x4
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Aye!)

I think originally most were produced with the cloth interior. My original 70 had the cloth bench and my current 70 still has the original cloth interior. This cloth interior held up very well and is reproduced in the original fabrics and colors from many of the reproduction supply houses. Until recently you wern't able to get the interior door panels for the 70 but now they are being reproduced and sold at many of the supply houses.

Rob

------------------

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

Umm...mine has both! I have a full vinyl interior, but as the years go by the stitching in the drivers' seat is letting go, and darned if there isn't the cloth stuff underneath!

I thought the vinyl was the original fabric. I have all receipts and show no upholstery work. I don't know if the rear seat is the same way. Is there a way to tell what fabric was used from the trim tag?

My 72 has the original "Elk Grain" vinyl

buckets, an extra cost option. I have

no console, which was a separate option.

It seems that this was an unusual combination. Does anyone else have buckets

and no console? Any feedback?

Greg

Quote:
Originally posted by wallaby:
Umm...mine has both! I have a full vinyl interior, but as the years go by the stitching in the drivers' seat is letting go, and darned if there isn't the cloth stuff underneath!
I thought the vinyl was the original fabric. I have all receipts and show no upholstery work. I don't know if the rear seat is the same way. Is there a way to tell what fabric was used from the trim tag?

The trim tag or cowl tag as it is often refered to should indicate the interior type and interior color.
Rob

Quote:
Originally posted by greg72monte:
My 72 has the original "Elk Grain" vinyl
buckets, an extra cost option. I have
no console, which was a separate option.
It seems that this was an unusual combination. Does anyone else have buckets
and no console? Any feedback?
Greg

Since the bucket seats and the console were two seperate options, it is possible to see cars the way yours is equipped. I think you will see that combination more often than floor shift with a bench seat. I have seen several combinations as you describe.
Rob

Rob,

According to my saleman's books & dealer

album that I have acquired over the years

you could order buckets without the console

but you could NOT get a floor shift with a

bench seat. If they exist they could be as

"rare" as the SS454's with a 4 speed.......

In other words, I do not think ever offered

it that way.

Greg

Gregg you are correct , i have a 70 with buckets and no console if you ordered a bench seat you could not get any type of auto floor shift , however you could get a four speed manual with bench seat. as far as material you can tell from the trim tag on the cowl if your car was cloth or vinyl. some early 70 montes used 69 impala cloth material which has a different pattern and is a hard to locate material.

Leo

What is the pattern? mine just seems to be plain black cloth

------------------

• 70 monte carlo
  • 73 chevelle 4 door

deluxe"kermit": no carpet(rubber floor) no floor, no trunk still drives (D.Ot'd finally)

that my Grandpa gave me

• 1981 ford f150 4x4

Greg,

The discussion of a manual floor shift (3 speed or 4 speed) came up here on the board awhile back and there some here in the club who had factory manual transmissions with bench seats. I know of one here in Pittsburgh which is a factory 4 speed with a bench seat on a 71 so I know they were available. BTW, I saw the build sheet on the 71 factory 4speed with bench seat.

As far as a bench seat with a console, that couldn't be done because the bench seat would be where the console would be.

Bottom line on a manual transmission with bench seat would be that they are rare but they do exist and as far as them being as rare as a factory SS454 with a 4 speed, we don't even want to open up that can of worms. Until someone can produce a build sheet on a factory ss454 4 speed for us here at the FGMCC, we will assume they don't exist. Now if someone can come up with a factory SS454 4 speed convertible, WITH A BUILD SHEET of course, we here at the FGMCC will be able to go to our graves with a smile on our faces.

Rob

------------------

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

Rob,

Of course you are correct. What I meant to say was you could not get an AUTOMATIC

floor shift with a bench seat.

This is what great about this forum.

There is a wealth of information available.

Greg

Hey Rob

Saw a 71 bench 402/4sp at a car corral several years back. Was kinda skeptical until I read an article from a muscle car mag that the owner had with the car. Nice car he was asking $15,000. I would have bought it but because of a recent minivan purchase for the wife I was unable to do so. He did come down to 10,000 but the WAF (wife acceptance factor) was not good. It got away. Talked to someone at the M/C Nats and was told that it went to a broker up north and went for I think 19,000.

Guess it was the unicorn!!

David

------------------

I have a 70 350 4speed bench ( Wario's old car ) and a 70 402 4speed car both are bench seat cars and have full documentation , the 70 350 car has the odd material that you cannot get repo. all of the cars i have seen with the 69 material were bench cars ,all the bucket seat cloth material was the same.

Leo

Hooter,

I believe that the black cloth interior fabric is available from Year One. They refer to it as "Prima cloth", but I think that in the 1970 sales brochure it's referred to as "knitcloth".

I have this same original nylon/cloth material on the seating surfaces of my '70 black bucket seat/console interior, and I love it! It's durable, comfortable, and has a nice, simple stitching pattern. If all you need is to re-cover the front seat, I would recommend replacing it with the same material. That way it will match what your backseat already has, which is the same pattern that is used on the '70 door panel centers, too. You can't go wrong with that!

Dave

ya the front seat is a bit worn and starting to separateat the top . the back seat is just fine but a little faded ill try redying it and see what happens

------------------

• 70 monte carlo
  • 73 chevelle 4 door

that my Grandpa gave me

• 1981 ford f150 4x4