Horn stopped working

abe72

Hello all,

I have a question (I always seem to have one) recently my horn stopped working, I only hear a "clicking" when i hit the horn button. I don't like nor I'm very good with electrical issues. What are some of the points I may want to check first, My first thought was horn relay, but not sure.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Abe

Abe you can disconnect the horn wire on the horn and take another wire and go directly to the positive terminal on the battery. That is an easy wyy to check the horns. If you hear the clicking that usually means your horn relay is good. Both of my horns failed a couple of years ago and I had to replace them.

I only have one horn on my 71, it died decades ago and was replaced.

Bruce

Hi Abe, If you can hear the horn relay clicking it means the horn buttons is working.  It does not necessarily mean the relay is good, it only means it the solenoid is pulling in but it may have dirty or bad contacts.  Like Larry said, you can test the horn itself out easily by disconnecting the wire going to the horn and run a wire directly from the positive terminal of the battery to the contact blade where you removed the wire.  Just a note, before you direct test the horn with an external wire be sure you make sure you check that is is well grounded.  To do this, remove the bolt holding the horn on and clean up the threads and contact areas and then try it again.  If the horn blows OK with the external wire then it would be the relay contacts being bad.

rob

• 4 weeks later...

ok im having issues with my horn. no clicking when push horn button.

• put in a new horn relay
  • ran ground from battery to horn relay, horns beep.
  • could it be the wire going from - of terminal  to the horn contact?????
  • how do you trace this? any ideas
  • I tried grounding the ground wire at the steering wheel no click or horn
  • thx Bill