Need help damn temps!

Ynot

Ok have a 70 with a stock three core rad with a mark 8 pulling air...trans cooler is b&m supercoller two inches in front towards grill. Built 406 about 500hp, Th400. I'm lost on this I have now nuked two transmissions after I went elec fan setup. It seems I have somehow created a air flow issue? Fan is set to turn on at 195 and off at 175. 160 stat. I'm not pulling air across my trans cooler, today it was just as hot as rad and engine etc.. While driving at hwy speeds my temp actually rises... This setup was in my 72 all stock cooling and never had a issue, swap all drivetrain to my 70 and add elec fan and also lowered car 2". Some are saying high pressure and need shroud etc. I hate the look of it, and I'm going nuts over here car is setup for road racing and I can't even keep trans temp in check just cruising around.

Do I need a air damn, block off big open space under car? Basically need suction out of engine bay to move air.

Sorry for the rambling but I'm frustrated.

Does have a 3k stall too.

post-1365-0-70966300-1468298083_thumb.jpeg

post-1365-0-82411700-1468298237_thumb.jpeg

I have a friend who has a similar problem but he never fried his tranny. He switched over to a dual fan and it helped him quite a bit. I am sure others will chime in aqnd a solution will be found.

For starters you need a better shroud and fan set-up...a 1/4th of your radiator is not properly in the shroud. I know you mentioned that but you should do it. Also you should try a fan directly mounted to your tranny cooler...mine runs all the time with no thermostat.

IMG_0254_zpsugvopg9v.jpg

IMG_20141130_171550_284_zpse98e9ba2.jpg

• Like 2

What type of trans are you running? I know with a 700r4 the TV cable has to have to correct PSI on it or it'll burn up. Do you know what your trans temp and how hot is your motor running? My big block runs roughly 210-220° while the trans stays at 190°. I'm using the built in trans cooler that goes out to an external cooler then back to a 700r4. When the elec fans kick on it pulls air through the trans cooler and the radiator.

More shroud could help the problem. Those Mark 8 fans pull a lot of air. Are you running a under drive pulley on your water pump?

I have a northern aluminum radiator,  stewart stage II aluminum water pump, a B&M stacked plate transmission cooler, that is plumbed through the radiators transmission cooler, along with a stock shroud and factory 7 blade fan with a hayden 2474 fan clutch and a 160 t-stat. All with factory diameter pulleys.

I know it may seem archaic/ old school. but my 414 s/b never overheats. I have a 4900 stall converter and the fluid (amsoil synthetic) is clean and you can grab the hard lines with your bare hand. after a long drive and yep they are warm but not blistering hot.

Hope ya get it figured out.

David

Made a belly pan before I did anything else now motor is 180 and trans is 165 still climbs a bit in long freeway but could be water pump or aluminum pulley slowing flow down. But city driving it don't move off 180.

See if this link works to a discussion on running hot in Chevy Talk:

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/337286/

I added a OEM Flex fan from a 1972 Z-28 back in 1972 because I thought they looked cool. 

I worked at a Ford dealer then, and many of their A/C cars used flex fans. 

I also then found how they were recalled for blades breaking off! Mine is still good (knock on wood).

I remember when I added the OEM temp gauge to my 71 350 it showed I was running hotter than I thought but never puked out coolant.

I replaced the original 3 row radiator for a 4 row radiator and it did go down. If caught in Woodard dream cruise traffic it will go way up but I don't recall the exact temp, hasn't yet puked coolant.

Good Luck!

Bruce