1970 SS Radiator top plate/cover - Tab or No Tab?

ss454-71

This question is for the guys with 1970 SS cars that still have the original top radiator plate/cover. Should it have the extra tab that goes with the 4 core radiator? I ask because the one on my 70 SS I'm restoring is missing and I have both versions with and without the tab and want to use the correct one.

From what I understand A/C cars had the tab. Did non A/C SS cars get 3 for radiators or did they all come with HD cooling 4 core? Being an A/C car I assume I should have the tab.

My '71 cars I have had all had the tab but looking at photos of 70 cars I'm not seeing it.

post-92-0-27739600-1468718417_thumb.jpg

The non-AC 454s got the 3 core rad and therefore the top plate without the tab. If the car was ordered with AC or the towing package then it would have the 4 core rad and the top plate with the tab. It may have been possible to simply order the HD rad on a non-AC car but not sure. I believe the bottom of the rad support may be different for a 4 core rad. I don't think a stock 4-core rad would fit in my support on the driver's side.

• 2 weeks later...

The non-AC 454s got the 3 core rad and therefore the top plate without the tab. If the car was ordered with AC or the towing package then it would have the 4 core rad and the top plate with the tab. It may have been possible to simply order the HD rad on a non-AC car but not sure. I believe the bottom of the rad support may be different for a 4 core rad. I don't think a stock 4-core rad would fit in my support on the driver's side.

Aaron is correct, the Top rad cover with the Tab was for the Big Block Car's that came with AC. Non AC cars didnt get the Tab unless you had the 70 chevelle ss with the LS6, those cars never came with AC but still got the Tab as it was the High Horse engine that came with the 4 core rad as standard equipment.

My 71 Monte SS from Oshawa is a Non AC car and has No Tab but did come with the 4 core rad in it as the Tags are still date coded on the side of the rad and just had it rebuilt and had it confirmed as well.

Darren.