Proper Grounding method?

astrochimp

Next up..time to get rid of this long time issue.

I've suspected ground issues for years and currently..

I have the NEW Hei installed and besides the alternator excite problem, I'm seeing-

seems to be missing during acceleration

tach goes nuts once in awhile and bounces around 4k when idling

voltage gauge LOWERS when the engine gets hot (goes from 14 slowly down to 13)

Sometimes headlights dim when brakes on or blinker on.

I have the wire to the body panel and the wire going to the alternator bracket. and this is the way it's been since i got the car.

I'd like to Super Duper ground this vehicle so I know it cannot be the cause of any problems anymore.

So i get some ground straps and run them from where to where?

Thanks for any INFO!!

post-50-0-77712500-1472914769_thumb.jpg

I know the original ground went to the alt bracket but that can cause a grounding issue

rust can form between the bracket and block easily, or if it's freshly painted can cause issues to

I like the take the battery ground directly to the block to eliminate any issues there

If memory serves me right, one of the things that I did to my daily driver (Betsy) was to upgrade on the size of wire, from what I believe was a 10AWG to a 6AWG, the wire that goes from the junction block near the battery to the junction on the fusible link near the voltage regulator, talk about changing the problem all together. I used to have issues with dimming lights when stepping on the brakes, and noticeable on the headlights as well as the dash-lights. It also fixed intermittent starting issues I used to have with it, I believe the engineers at GM had a brain fart along that junction. Not that it needs a 6 gauge wire, but it surely fixed everything in doing so. I never tried an #8 I just went for overkill from the get-go. :rofl: