Color help needed.

JUBAL

Sorry to bug y'all.  Is there a MC restoration book like those for Chevelles?  If so I need to get one.

On the hood hinges, what color is original?  I have mine off now and will need to clean the rust and paint. I see a lot of painted black ones, but is that what GM used on the part?

Also, the front valance (between the bumper and the body), what is the proper color?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't think there's a restoration book available.

According to the owner of the plating shop I used, the hinges were never painted from the factory. He said they were gray phosphate coated. He did a great job on mine.

The valances were all Argent Silver, the same as the rally wheels.

Dan

Hey, Jerry,

I came across the information below that might be of interest to you if you are restoring your Monte to original stock condition:

Underhood Detailing:

Frame and upper/lower control arms and upper shafts = semi-gloss black
Front coil springs = gloss black or natural (better detail contrast)
Firewall, inner fenders, radiator support = semi-gloss black
Radiator and fan = gloss black
Fan clutch = natural aluminum
Radiator shroud = natural black plastic or gloss black
Steering box = natural cast iron gray
Steering linkage = natural steel
Front sway bar = natural cast iron gray
Heater or AC housing = semigloss black
Hood hinges, latch, catch and springs = gray phosphate plated
Brackets and steel pulleys = semi-gloss or gloss black (gloss gives more detail contrast)
Cast iron pulleys = natural cast iron
Master cylinder = natural cast iron (some use gloss black)
Brake booster = gold cadmium plated (master cylinder lid also)
Windshield wiper motor = gloss black
Alternator = natural aluminum
Power steering pump = gloss black
AC compressor = semi-gloss black
Steering column shaft = natural steel
Horns = gloss black
Coil = gloss black
Voltage regulator = gloss black
Distributor = natural aluminum with gloss black cap
Fuel and brake lines = natural steel

Undercarriage Details:

Transmission = natural aluminum
Bellhousing = natural aluminum
Transmission support = semi-gloss black
Driveshaft = natural steel
Rear axle = semi-gloss black
Rear swaybar = semi-gloss black
Rear coil springs = gloss black
Rear control arms = semi-gloss black
Gas tank = natural steel (shiny)
Gas tank straps = gloss black
Parking brake cables = natural steel

• Like 1

Guys,

Thanks a lot for the info.  I had done my valance 20+ years ago in the argent silver.  So I had that correct.  But my hinges were black with overspray.  Power washed and cleaned them today.  I'll try to find something to get the phosphate color at the least.

I got my aftermarket hinges from Leo Konick and they were already black. Other items under my hood are painted with SEM Trim Black or powder coated.

Anyone know of someone (or a shop) that can do the phosphate plating?

Phosphate transfer to metal is essentially Parkerizing.  I do gun barrels for myself, so it is not something that is hard to do with Parkerizing solution, a tank big enough, a heat source capable of 160 degrees, and a bead/sand blaster to prepare the metal.  The only problem I can see is getting the accurate color GM used which I don't have a clue what that was.  But military Parkerizing can be various shades of grey and can even be black and I imagine that is what the hinges were from the factory.  Even though I could do mine myself, for the work involved in a driver, I think I'll spray.

If you can find a shop that parkerizes gun parts, they could do it if they would.  I see Dan found a plating shop to do his.  Again, thank everyone for the help.

Steve Gregori at detailplating.com did my parts. He also has brakeboosters.com. He has alot of good information on his sites and he does a great job.

Jerry, it's great to have another brother here. There are some others, besides us. I have 22 yrs with the IBEW as an inside wireman and another 6 1/2 in my current job as a maintenance electrician (same local union) at a hydro power plant.

Dan