Gas tank for 1970 ?

Mine came from Van Nuys and had the charcoal box under the hood. Mine had the 2 vent system. I think that was the only state that required the extra pollution crap.

In '70, the cars made in California that were to be sold in California had the charcoal canister. The others did not. Mine was built at the Van Nuys plant too, but was not for delivery to a CA dealer. It has no canister or vent tubes.

Dan

My 70 has that charcoal filter in the front, I live in Cali, I was wondering if I need it or not, so I guess I can take it out? Cool, the less clutter the better! But it has 3 hoses going to it, do I need those?

Nice, I think I'll do the same, I not interested in all those environmental/smog parts, that's why I drive smog exempt cars! So I can do whatever the hell I want to them lol, however I do respect those who choose to keep all that stuff to have a nice all original classic .

I always thought that in California if it came with smog crap it was supposed to always have the smog crap on it even after restoration.

I removed the charcoal canister but I left the venting in. I was a litle concerned I would smell raw gas under the hood but I don't. All the lines are still there. I still have the canister in case I need to put it back on.

I have a 1971 350 4BBL, built in Canada almost all original.

In case anyone has the evap system and want's to keep it / repair it, I found a small plastic orifice in one of the small hoses near the trunk. DON'T JUST TOSS THE OLD HOSES!

Pictures:

post-76-0-23800900-1490023333_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-65976500-1490023344_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-05802700-1490023365_thumb.jpg

Don't forget to use the proper gas cap for your tank, vented or NON-vented.

Good luck.

Leghome, no, in California once a vehicle is exempt from smog there no standards or regulations on engines, so basically you get to do what ever you want to your engine. But besides that, California is probably the strictest state on emission control. Stangeba, what ever I take off my car gets stored in my garage, never thrown away....... But might end up getting sold on this site lol.

A search I did showed a vehicle that's 30 or over is exempt, but I'm not convinced that is the case in every state. Contacting your state DMV would be advisable.

Dan

Ya in California it used to be 30 years old is exempt, but that allowed way to many old clunkers to stay on the road pumping out smog, so about 10 years ago California changed the exempt law and made it so every 5 years the the exemption would move up one year, I also heard they later changed it again increaseing the amount of years before the exemption would move up a year. So the 30 year old thing doesn't apply in California anymore