Rare 70 Color??

My original 1970 Monte Carlo was painted Desert Sand (Paint Code 63)  When I bought my car late in the 1970 model year I had my choice of three cars their Demo Monte, and two others.  All three of these cars were identical and all three painted Desert Sand.

In the 17 years I have been a member of this club I have never seen another 1970, unrestored or restored, painted in Desert Sand.  I have seen Gobi Beige (Paint Code 50), Champagne Gold (Paint Code 55) and Autumn Gold (Paint Code 58).  Is it possible the Desert Sand was a rare color for Monte Carlo's?    Has anyone else ever seen a Desert Sand Monte?   Green Mist Code 45 is another what seems to be a rare color.  All of the other 70 colors I have seen frequently.

That said...... First Generation Monte Carlo's look good in any color (almost).

rob

• Like 1

I don't care what that color is called ... that is one gorgeous '70 Monte Carlo, Johnathan ... and an SS to boot!!  Thanks for sharing ... don't be a stranger.

• Like 2

I don't care what that color is called ... that is one gorgeous '70 Monte Carlo, Johnathan ... and an SS to boot!!  Thanks for sharing ... don't be a stranger.

Dennis, What color is your 70SS.  I know that is close to the Desert Sand but I am not sure since you didn't say I suspect it is not.

rob

I know this is a very poor picture, in reality it is a picture of a picture.  This is a picture of me with my original Desert Sand Monte Carlo.

rob

4.jpg

I'll say my car is not desert sand - where can I find the paint code? VIN# maybe?

I have listed all of the 70 Monte Codes on your other post where you posted pictures of your very pretty 70SS.  Check it out there or you can go to our home page and click on the link for "Technical Information" and from there not only will you see the colors and codes listed but also a color chart.

rob

Rob, my SS is Autumn Gold paint code 58 as shown on the Build Sheet. It has been repainted but with the original color.  My first new '70 was also Autumn Gold but had a white vinyl top like the one shown below.

post-567-0-64961100-1490228861_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-07122300-1490228627_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-78459700-1490228682_thumb.jpg

Rob, from the pic you show it appears to have some "rose blush" in it.  Kind a reminds me of Black Hills Gold which has a Rose tint to it.  - Dave

Rob, from the pic you show it appears to have some "rose blush" in it.  Kind a reminds me of Black Hills Gold which has a Rose tint to it.  - Dave

Dave,

While that picture is very close to the color of the car it is slightly darker due to slight discoloration/darkening of the original picture.   That said, it was a very classy looking color for a Monte but like I said, the First Gen Monte looks good in almost any color.  There is only one original color I really don't much like on a Monte but I will not say which year the color is from or what color it is.... It is a personal like/dislike thing.

rob

For all the Montes I've seen at meets I've been to over the years, I don't recall ever seeing that colour.

Aaron, I have not seen that COLOUR any of the meets or car shows I have attended either.

rob

• Like 1

I have a Desert Sand 1970 Monte sitting in front of one of my garage doors. Had it for years. Was going to be my second restore but never got to it. Has Gold interior.

Carl