new electric dual flex-a-lite fans

bills70monte

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has the flex-a-lite dual electric fan set up on their monte. I have a fresh rebuild on my 454 and have a issue of it running hot when off the highway. The motor runs great so I dont think its anything there. Its running at 210-215 when not moving and slow driving; 195 on the highway. I hope this new set up will do the trick. This draws 28 amps from the charging system. Will my 78 amp alt be able to handle the draw? Like usual, thanks for any feedback. Bill

I have it and it works great with the stock radiator...I have changed my radiator since to a Be Cool and now it is even better.

I put a 200 amp alternator in before I installed the fans so I can't comment on how it would work with your 78 amp one.

You don't have to but you might want to install an overide switch so you can turn it on whenever you want.

Bill

That switch is most definately going to be installed. A 200 amp alt?????????!!! Oh my god, is there a flux capacitor as well?? lol Thats some serious power. Bill, do you have the external or internal voltage regulator?

One thing, make sure you wire the fans using a relay with the shortest wiring you can so you do not get power loss.

Ian

Thanks for the advice I certainly will. Next I am going to upgrade the alt to 140 amp and internal voltage reg. I think that sould stablize the charging system. I plan to add in a electric water pump down the road. Thanks.

I put a 200 amp alternator in before I installed the fans so I can't comment on how it would work with your 78 amp one.

I had just got back from camping and without much sleep when I posted that. Well I just woke up from my needed nap and reread what I wrote... crazy

Actually I have 140 amp powermaster with a internal regulator... grin

One thing to be careful is if you have underdrive crank pulley and you use the Powmaster 140 you will have trouble with it charging the battery at low rpm's.

That alternator needs like over a 1,200 rpm's to excite it to begin charging the battery.

I eventually put a smaller diameter alternator pulley (even smaller than the one that came with the crank pulley kit) and now mine works fine.

I agree with bill, I did the underdrive pulley and had prob with my alt and engine getting hot, went back to the stock crank pulley drove it in dream cruise on a 90 degree day, never went over 190 smile

Finished installing the fans. Temp is running 190-195, whereas previously it was running 200-215. Beautiful grin......now if I could just get it to run smoothly........

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Bill,

Just curious if you bought the flex a lite 2 fan system and how it worked? I have a big block running hot as well. Was thinking of trying the 2 fan system as well. If you did buy it, what P/N did you buy? Also, would you happen to know if the original big block fan shroud covers the whole finned area of the radiator? My shroud seems to leave about 5 inches open....

Thanks,

D

Mike,

Are you running a big block, 4 core radiator? What P/N fans are you using? If you are using a big block, did the stock big block fan shroud cover all of the finned area of the radiator?

Thanks,

D

Hey David , I did get the flex-a-lite dual electric fan set-up. I have a stock 4 core radiator with a 454 and it is just a bit taller than the actual radiator, hangs down about 1" past the radiator; theres also about 1/2" on either side of fins not covered. It definitely covers more area than the original set up. The stock big block fan shroud does not cover the finned area of the radiator. I will say I am pretty happy with it. I did have to mount the new shroud with zip-ties to the frame to get it to cover all of the finned radiator, but not difficult. I got it from jegs p/n 400-295. p/n from summit is flx-295. Good luck david Any q's dont hesitate to ask. Bill

Bill,

First of all thanks a bunch for taking the time to respond, I really do appreciate it. It sounds like the 2 fan system is the way to go. Did you wire it up where it turns on at a certain temperature? Or with a off/on switch where you manually turn it off and on at your convenience?

Thanks again,

David

Mike,

Thanks for replying and the link. I checked it out, and for my car/application 70' 454, it does not recommend electric fans. It says that the cooling requirements are too much for electric fans....

Bill,

I called Flex a lite, and they say the same thing, they do not have a fan they recommend to cool a big block, however, if you did it and it works I think I am going to give it a try as well....we'll see what happens....

Thanks,

David

No problem David, that kit comes with a control relay where it is wired coming on and off at certain temps also with the manual override.(you do have to purchase a switch). My car has both. There is also a 30second delay for the fans to come on at 60 percent power then 100 percent power at 175-180. Easy to install, just be careful where you put the old fan shroud after you pull it out of the car..... my wife ran over it in the garage,pulling in. Said she didnt see it laugh totally destroyed it! Bill

I've heard that BS before too, about electric fans only being rated up to 150 hp, or 250 hp, etc. Whatever. . . Electric fans move WAY more air than a mechanical fan, so if a mechanical fan can cool it, then a good electric fan can do it too.