no one use 4.10 gears?

Guest justins72monte

Guest justins72monte

I just do a lot of cruising and around town fun driving. I would like to kick but 0 to 80. I have a roller 360 with approx. 390hp. I have a well built 350turbo tranny. I am in the process of locating a posi carrier for my 4.10 gears. Am I crazy going with 4.10's? My 71 monte with a stock-ish 350 4bbl has 3.73's and it doesn't wind up too bad going down the road, and could really use a 4.10 set up. It only has the 10 bolt posi though. Before I spend a ton on my 12 bolt posi, I was just wondering what you would do. I don't take many out of town trips. Just cruise and have fun. Thanks. Justin

I have a 4.11 gear and it was fun for a while and I eventually installed a overdrive unit bringing me down to a 3.22 final gear.

I went from a 2.73 to a 4.11 and that was quite a noticable improvement. Going from a 3.73 gear to a 4.10 is not that dramatic and might not be what you are expecting in a seat of the pants kick.

What is your tire diameter?

I myself am eventually going to get a 3.42 gear so my overdrive drops it down to a 2.66 to help with todays gas prices.

Guest justins72monte

I don't think my tires are as tall as yours. They are 275 60 15's which calculate out to about 28" tall. Currently my 72 has 2.73's and I want to go to 4.11's. My other monte is a 71. It is the one that has the 3.73's in it. I think the dif between 3.73's and 4.10-4.11's is about 10%. What overdrive tranny are you running? 700r4?

save your money and buy a good stall converter!!! your not going to gain anything with that swap. Get a 3k stall at least if you want to really have fun. Eli btw i went from 2.73 to a 4.11 and a 700r4 and i still bet my stall helped almost as much.

Guest justins72monte

sorry my post was confusing. I have three different monte's, and I was just comparing my one with 3.73's and the one I want to change from 2.73's to 4.11's. I drove my one with 3.73's again tonight, and I still think that I want to go to 4.11's on my car that currently has 2.73's. I think I will see a lot of difference in that swap. I agree, going from 3.73 to 4.11 wouldn't be worth it. I don't run down the strip (although it would be fun to try). The 3000 stall would be nice, but I don't know if I really need it for cruising. I found a nice series 3 carrier today on ebay and bought it. I should have everything in by next week.. I'll let you know what I think. Thanks. Justin

Hey justin, I have 4.11 in my 70 monte. Changed it from a 2.73, what a big difference. Even without overdrive I love cruising it on the highway. With the right tires you'll feel the front lift whenever you punch it. cool