HELP!!! tranny won't go in gear

Arvizu9618

After engine swap, assumed I had proper fluid level, was going into gear on jackstands. Took off stands and car needed alot of gas to get going. I added more fluid, may have been two quarts too much, now car won't go in gear on or off jackstands.

TH350, what are the possible problems. I checked and rechecked all connections, tranny was in excellent condition before swap.

ARRRGGGGHHHH! One thing leads to another, BOOOO HOOOO HOOOOO!

Have since drained a couple of qts, still no go.

are you using the same torque converter???

and was it properly installed in the trans???

First and easiest...make sure your fluid level is correct!!!

check kick-down cable

no help their...check your shifter linkage, make sure it is adjusted correctly, you did just have the engine out and the trans was prob yanked around a bit

this is where I would start...process of elimination, and piece of mind that they are correct

When you bolted the torque converter to the flex plate was there any play between it and the plate? If the torque converter is installed correctly in the trans there should be play. If the torque converter was tight to the flex plate the converter is not engaged to the drive lugs of the front pump. This will affect line pressure and is harmfull to the front pump and the thrust bearing on the motor. Good luck I hope your problem is a small one!

are you using the same torque converter???

Yes

and was it properly installed in the trans???

I installed converter to flywheel first, then tranny to engine

First and easiest...make sure your fluid level is correct!!!

Fluid was a little high, but tranny was working, now it's dead

check kick-down cable

Everything is hooked up

no help their...check your shifter linkage, make sure it is adjusted correctly, you did just have the engine out and the trans was prob yanked around a bit

this is where I would start...process of elimination, and piece of mind that they are correct

When you bolted the torque converter to the flex plate was there any play between it and the plate?

I installed converter to flexplate first, then tranny to motor. All bolt's to torque spec.

If the torque converter is installed correctly in the trans there should be play. If the torque converter was tight to the flex plate the converter is not engaged to the drive lugs of the front pump. This will affect line pressure and is harmfull to the front pump and the thrust bearing on the motor. Good luck I hope your problem is a small one!

STOP RIGHT THERE!!! shocked

YOU CAN NOT INSTALL THE TORQUE CONVERTER TO THE FLEXPLATE FIRST!!!

you may have damaged the trans and/or the torque converter

the converter must be installed to the trans PROPERLY FIRST!!!

you need to drop the trans, send the trans & conv out and tell them what you did, have them check it out