Share Your Muffler Experiences Please

Heckeng

Hey all, I have been contemplating changing my exhaust around, and have done a bunch of looking into different muffler types, and I'm no closer to a decision now than 6 months ago. I will be keeping the exhaust 3" and probably all the way out the back. Here are my thoughts.

I currently have Flowmaster 50 series. Love the sound, but wonder if there would be less restriction with something like a flowthrough Dynomax, either a bullet or their welded Ultra Flow mufflers. I like the Flowmaster because there is no packing to degrade or areas that would collect carbon and full up with crap. Have any of you guys had fiberglass filled mufflers that changed sound as they aged? Have they lost their packing material? I don't know if that would ever happen, but what do you guys think?

Also, I'v always been pretty against glasspacks. The Dynomax bullets seem to be just that though, they just don't call them glasspacks.

I've looked at the Warlock chambered mufflers with the removable plug, which I kind of like, but think it might be pretty restrictive when plugged up.

What do you all think of Flowmasters and Dynomax, and any others that you like?

Guest 72yellowmc

I've looked at the Warlock chambered mufflers with the removable plug, which I kind of like, but think it might be pretty restrictive when plugged up.

that's what I run..... they sound good when not un-pluged. it's the same thing but mine are made by flowtech.

I have had Thrush straight through mufflers on my Monte and a set on my truck and over time they did get louder as the packing burned/blew out. This is my only experience with glasspacks.

I like "chambered" mufflers now and have a set of Corsa's on my Vette and Flowmaster 40 Series on my Monte. I have heard of a chamber coming loose in the Flowmasters but it is as plain as day when that happens cause they will rattle.

I have zero resonance in my Monte...I have no X-pipe or cross-over pipe and my exhaust goes to the back bumper. I can always tell when a flowmaster system is coming down the street but for some reason "my" system doesn't sound like them...it might be because of my 3 1/2" pipes, I'm not sure.

Have you seen the "new" Flowmaster Super 44 Series mufflers?

Bill

flo-942445_w.jpg

I've read a little on them. I'd like to reduce my interior noise, but keep it loud on the outside. I currently have the exhaust cut off before the rear. I plan on extending whatever exhaust I get out the rear though. I will probably also put some cutouts in. Those super 44s are supposed to be pretty loud. I don't know....

I've stated this many times before. Don't mess around with trying to piece together a system and call Torque Tech. Goggle to get their website. They specialize in GM "A" body exhaust systems. Tell them what you have and they will put together a system matched to your car and your needs. Ask for Keith, but anyone can help you. I went to them first after looking and listening to several other systems. I get a lot of compliments on looks and tone. It's also the only system I've come accross that maximizes power instead of robbing power. Just my two cents.

Guest caddycarlo

on my 70 monte I run 4 inch with edebrock mufflers that you cannot get anymore they have a airplane wing shape inside to knock the sound out of phase...... it has a very deep note and has done very well for me ....... personly I am not fond of flowmasters mufflers but on my other 70 monte I did the street thunder kit becouse the wife does like the sound of flowmasters and I have to say the new flowmaster muffler is not to bad and the kit went in well ......

Guest Evil Austin
Have you ever heard spintech ? They sound the balls and offer way better performance then flowmasters.

Which series of spintech would you say work the best ? Prostreet ? Sportsman ?

-EA

To me, the chambered mufflers sound too much like a glass pack. I have V-force's now on my 79 and they are basically a flowmaster clone. They are way too loud.

I'm going to go with Magnaflows and an X-pipe. From what I've heard from that setup, It has a more exotic sound to it, quiet at idle, but smooth/loud at WOT, kind of like what a factory LSX engine would produce.

im not sure which ones I went with because it was a while ago but I know they had a 1 chamber one that I heard on the guys Big Block chevelle and it sounded the balls. They are definitly going on my BB.

Guest Evil Austin

Cool man, thanks for the reply, I will call Dr Gas on monday and see which one has a one chamber and order them the same day ! I will post a sound clip on here once I get them installed !

_EA

Guest Evil Austin

Right now I am running the stock 350, but once that goes or once I finish building my super secret big block, I will probally get a larger piping size. . . So for right now it will be nascar style 2.5" offset Dr. Gas mufflers with an H pipe and exits at each rear tire. . . I will update once they are installed and going !

-EA

I run the Dynomax UltraFlow Welded's on my monte. 3" headers into 2.5" pipe, NO crossover, and 2.25" pipes over the axle out under the back bumper. Totally dead quiet on the freeway.. at least, I can't hear them over the wind & tire noise.

they sound a LITTLE glass-pack like when I'm really on it.. (got worse with the higher compression) but I think they sound really nice when I'm on it. just wish I could get the headers to quit leaking wink

• 2 weeks later...

My monte currently has glasspaks and I cannot wait till they are off & the flowmasters are on - I love the sound of flowmasters.....never heard the spintech - anyone got a video to share?

Guest Evil Austin

I have been scouring looking for videos and I have found only a few worth while ones on the spintech's

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/07201d31-e8ce-486c-b3e5-3f07906858a0.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/c48d4dc7-a5ff-4001-a5fc-99b600bec5d1.htm

If you go to the site and search it a lot of catted newer cars come up and it sounds quieter raspier and poppier because of their cats and piping, but the two above are closest to what I can see to one of our cars (el camino)

I think hearing that camino seals it for me, to sounds great ! smile

-EA

• 2 weeks later...

I sealed up one of the major headder leaks and I gotta admit.. the UltraFlow's sound a lot better then I inittally thought!!! very nice mellow rumble sound. a LITTLE glass-pack-ish under hard accell.. but not objectionable.

I know this post is kinda old, but when I was running the Monte as my daily driver: I have a 350 with stock internals, Edelbrock performer intake and Holley 600 4bbl on top with Hedman Hedders running to dual 2-1/2" 'custom' bent (as custom as a fairly straight shot gets) pipes running Flowmast 40-series mufflers and mandrel-bent 2-1/2" tailpipes. The idle was nice and mellow, no resonance, and purred nicely when gotten on. I didn't ever stop at a stop light and not have people look over.

Guest RichMonte

Look into the Magnaflow kit. I had stainless 2 1/2" system installed last year and is fits perfectly. As for sound it low to medium in car at cruise, but when you get on it it has a really deep clean tone - not raspy like Flowmaster. Kit comes with and X-pipe and all stainless bands. Mufflers come polished and look real cool from behind as you ride down the street. Awesome!!I can send you a picture if you would like to see it.

Your Magnaflow kit fit perfectly? I had issues with mine. I'm very happy with the end result, but it was quite a fight and I had to have the tailpipes reworked. But I'm guessing that has to do with using manifolds and everything being basically stock. I'm curious to know what your combination is that allowed the kit to work so well.

Mike

Guest RichMonte

Mike, I am running a modified 350 - Crane Cam (Dual Plane) Edlebrock Carb and Manifold, MSD Ignition, Hedman Hedders - full length Cermic Coated (new style with "ball flange) etc. The custom muffler shop that installed my Magnaflow system spread the hedder connector pipe to fit around the hedder ball flange ie no gasket needed for this type of connection. The rest of installation was right out of the box. No rattles. The best part of the Magnaflow system is fit together joints, mandrel bent pipes, and sound. The slip joint pipes allow you to remove them easily. I was there for the installation. It took him about 3 hours. This is the same system that Chip Foose, Barry Grant and others use. Try it you'll like it!! The only tech issue is you need a mig welder to weld the tailpipe hanger to the tailpipe because it is stainless steel.

I do have the 2-1/2" Magnaflow system. I used that and Pypes downtubes right off the stock manifolds on my 402. My problem arose in placement of the X-pipe. Where it "wanted" to go created an interference problem with the tranny crossmember. In retrospect, the right thing to do would have been to stop right there and order a double-hump replacement crossmember. Not no, not me! I forged ahead and created more work and expense for myself! I shoved the X-pipe as far rearward as I could to create the most clearance I could get. Then when it came time to hang the tailpipes, there was just no way I could make them work...but I had already cut and installed the X-pipe and downtubes, so I was stuck. I took it to a very good shop out here called Pro Dyno. The guy that owned the shop and did the work on my car was Charles Hendrickson from Pinks. They are the only shop around here that does mandrel bent stainless work. He reworked the tailpipes and put on some slash-cut tips at my request. I had heard that there was too much resonance using the turn-down tips that come with the kit. Anyway, I'm very happy with the finsished product and the unique sound.

Mike

Guest RichMonte

My x-pipe is just behind the tranny rear mount somewhere around the ujoint. So it is not too far back. Sound is awesome and interior noise is quite easy on the ears. Loud pipes do save lives - and sound way cool!

Guest RichMonte

Mike, I forgot to mention that the installation trick is to hang the mufflers first. Then work forward with x-pipe then to hedder connector pipe. Finally work from rear of mufflers over rear end and on to the tail pipe.