Stall Convertor update

Bob Hansen

I used to have a Summit 1800-2200 rpm stall convertor, Broke it.

Now I have a B&M Holeshot 2000 convertor.

The B&M does not even feel like a stall convertor.

In fact with the Summit one I could incinerate the tires pretty much at will.

Now with the B&M I can not spin the tires from a stop. eek

Granted I have also switched tires from Goodyears to Dunlops. The tires will still break loose when it hits 2nd gear.

I guess on the plus side the tires should last a long time. I can still do 0 to 60 in less than 5 seconds with it. laugh

I am thinking that Summit must have given me a higher stall than I ordered, with that one you could feel it. Although the durability was an issue as it broke with less than 3000 miles on it.

i thought the hole shot from b&m was a 2400 stall??? or is there a few stall choices?

They have the 2000, 2400 & 3000

apparently I should have went with the 2400,

but the Summit worked fine (for a while :rolleyes: )

What stall speed and brand do you guys recommend for the following

- 402 big block bored .030 over

- mild performance cam

214 I and 224 E at .050 lift

- 28 inch rear tires

- stock intake and exhaust

- TH400 transmission with a gear

vendors overdrive and a 3.55 rear

(overall final ratio in o/d is 2.77)

I put in a 2500 stall I got from TPI at the Turkey Rod Run. It's called the GM25. I could feel it slip at highway speeds as my engine speed was only around 2300 rpm. Now, I have a factory stall converter in the car and it wants to creep through the intersection at traffic lights.

Andrew Offutt

Andy, I have a BB with a radical cam, 3:50 gears and GV OD. I have noticed no problems with the 2400 Holeshot. I have had so many problems lately and haven't driven the car much. I still have to experience it in 3rd OD to notice yet how slippage is. It must not be a real problem. I will have to watch the tack to be positive.

With the cam and the big block combo and the overdrive I would think a 2000 stall will still bake the tires and give you good lock up on the high way . I have a 700r4 with 2000 stall (lock-up type) 10.1 compression 272 crame HMV, bout the same numbers as your cam and a 454 chevy monte 71 I run 13.30's (street tires)with 3.31 gears in the quarter and drive on the freeway with no problem but when it locks up in forth it is alittle bogged so I am going to put 3.42's in to bring the r's back up to the 2300 to 2500 range ...I run smaller 26 inch diameter tires 295 50 15's. Jim

This last winter I installed a switch pitch T400. I like a lot. Low stall is tighter than stock at about 1000 rpm and on high stall it pegs at about 2500 rpm. With the stock built LS6 in the car drivability has improved greatly as i drive around with high stall turned on. At highway speeds there is very little slippage and my milage went up to 12.5 mpg from 10.5. If you find a switch pitch I highly recommend grabbing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with B&M tech today.

Per my engine specs he said that I would need the Holeshot 2400 & not the 2000. I told him about the Summit brand one working (until I broke it) He felt that that the Summit 1800-2200 stall was a closer match to the Holeshot 2400 than the 2000.

I questioned him about driving at 1800 rpm with the 2400 convertor.

He said that it could not slip at cruising / normal driving rpm's and that the stall only takes place when large amounts of torque are applied from idle speed.

Quote:
Stall speed listings are based on engines producing 230lb. ft. of torque at 2,500 rpm. More torque at 2,500 rpm will give you more stall speed, less torque at 2,500 rpm will give you less stall speed than the stall speed ratings indicated.
Here's the good part! He said return the Holeshot to Summit Racing for a full credit towards the Holeshot 2400. I said but I have installed & used it? He said does that not matter.

Guess I'll get off the web & give Summit a call.

Bob