Front oil pump install tips

Arvizu9618

Anybody here have any tips on getting seal of front oil pump to drop in smoothly?

I'm pretty sure all the internals are as far down as possible, just getting hung up at the front pump seal.

thanks, art

If you're talking about the transmission pump, it will go in part way, then you can use the bolts to suck it in the rest of the way. Use a cross bolting pattern tightening each bolt just a little bit until all of the bolts are in and the pump is seated. Then torque to the correct specs. That's the only way I've seen it done.

make sure you replaced the o ring "and put petrolum jelly on it" that goes around the front pump and the gasket other wise it is leak city and heckeng is right on the install technic. also you may need to buy two bolts that are just a bit longer to help it seat past the o-ring "do not tighten all the way" then start to install your pump bolts.

Make sure you're able to turn the input shaft clockwise as you install the pump. If not the direct clutch and forward clutch housing is not properly installed to index the face plates.

And make sure your end play is within specs. .033-.064"

My front pump seal just started leaking,Little puddles of trany fluid every where I have been.But I'm taking the easy way out,My good friend "EARL" has a tranny shop and my 70 is going in tommorow and will be finished that evening.Good luck with yours.

Terry