T350 or T400?

monte0

How many of you guys succsesfully run a T350 trans. behind a big block pushing some resasonable high HP? I'm kinda missing the old t350's performance vs. my T400. (plus the 400's heavy too)

Go with a TH350, the Turbo 400 pulls more HP than a 350, of course a 350 is not as durable.

It will need to be built to withstand the HP, I will be bolting a 350 behind a 600 HP 462 BB, but it will be a racing transmission.

Go with a TH350, the Turbo 400 pulls more HP than a 350

You know people kept telling us that when we went with the TH400 behind our 377HP 350, but to be honest Mike said he didn't really feel any loss of power and is very pleased with the performance of it.

Originally Posted By: Jared Richey
Go with a TH350, the Turbo 400 pulls more HP than a 350

You know people kept telling us that when we went with the TH400 behind our 377HP 350, but to be honest Mike said he didn't really feel any loss of power and is very pleased with the performance of it.

When you have that kind of power like that or what I'm going to have, they probably ain't much difference...

But when you car about the 0.100 or 0.010 or even 0.001 of a second at the strip, then it matters. cool

I have a th350 behind a 454, that I would assume is around 450hp or so and maybe 500 lbft. It has only run a 12.64, so it might be a little lower based on that.

I have had some th350 issues, but I believe they were probably user error. Bottom line, don't downshift to slow down lol seriously! Also, don't spin the tires and let them suddenly hook up in second gear, this can trash it as well. But, if you don't do that stuff, I've had great luck. I also have a friend with an all steel camaro running low 10s/high 9's with a 496/350 combo. Lots of people will tell you not to mess around with the 350s and just do the 400 but I know they can be made to run strongly. The thing I don't like about the 400s is that with most shift kits, they lose engine braking capability which is very annoying for street driving. Also, with both transmissions, if you upgrade your valve body, most will eliminate engine braking as well.

There is some very interesting th350/th400 talk on this link:

Chevelle forum th350/th400 discussion

How much hp are you looking at?

i had a 350 behind my big block it was a 396 with 325hp. i then put a 400 in behind the same motor and other then the trans been geared for a truck it still had power. as of today i have a 700r4 behind the same big block but the big block is now puttin out about 390hp. jared not to call u out on what u wer sayin about the 350 been stronger then the 400 but why was the 400 the only auto often on the ss 396 and 454 chevelle?

i had a 350 behind my big block it was a 396 with 325hp. i then put a 400 in behind the same motor and other then the trans been geared for a truck it still had power. as of today i have a 700r4 behind the same big block but the big block is now puttin out about 390hp. jared not to call u out on what u wer sayin about the 350 been stronger then the 400 but why was the 400 the only auto often on the ss 396 and 454 chevelle?

I didn't say a 350 was stronger...I said a 400 was stronger and a 350 will need to be built up strong to handle the power. But in the long run, a 400 Turbo built is still stronger, it has to be, its bigger, and heavier, and made to handle more power.

A 350 is just lighter and better for the dragstrip. Sorry I confused you. If you go back and re read my 1st post you will see I said "a 350 is not as durable and it will need to be built up to handle the power".

Behind my current 454BB (about 450 hp), I had a built 350 trans. Had it in the car for about a month and ended up cracking the front hub when I was racing the car from 1st to 2nd. So I went with the 400 at the time because the cost of doing a 350 the way I needed was way too expensive. But I'm thinking of going back to the 350 because as Jared has pointed out the trans. is lighter and I like the ratios better on them too.Just not sure if I can build it to handle more then 450 hp.

I have a 350 behind the 454 in my Monte and it has seen some serious abuse the past 3 years. I recently nipped the 11's and the car is no stranger to WOT. Plus, I've accidentally done some very bad things to it (shifting to 1st from 2nd at full throttle is NOT a good idea- the fan belt broke and actually dented the hood- duh...). The trans was in the car when I got it (looked like a junkyard replacement) and I added a B&M shift kit and a 2400 B&M converter. These Montes are obviously heavy (more than 4000# with me in it)- that with a 3:31 gear, sticky tires- the trans is getting some abuse!

But this is the first 350 I've had any experience with- I've always run 400s in my Camaros. And the weird thing, the Monte is faster than any of those Camaros with similar engine combos. And the Camaros always had more gear (3.73s or 4:11s), more converter (3000 stall) and they had to weigh less. Can't give the Turbo 350 all the credit, but it hasn't hurt!

I didn't think 700s were any stronger than 350s, and actually I thought they were weaker? Either one "built" can be strong I think, but that costs mulah!

for me stronger isn't really important because its just a mild 350 engine. i'm just thinking why rebuild another t350 when i could have reliability and the advantage of having overdrive. would also consider changing over to a 4 spd manual