trans crossmember question

bobsmc

does anyone know if a crossmember for a 350 trans is the same as a 400 ?

also would a 4 speed member be the same?

ive got the 400 in there now and might have to jump to a spare 350 for a while.

does anyone know if a crossmember for a 350 trans is the same as a 400 ?

I think they are identical, just have to move the crossmember forward for the 350 or rearward for the 400 in the existing frame holes. The actual center mount may be different though I'm not sure.

Bill

the 350/400 crossmember are the same

a 4 spd crossmember is different BUT...I THINK it can be used for a automatic

Bob, do you have a manuel trans crossmember, I would be interested in it smile

Guest Evil Austin

Really ? For some reason I thought that a TH-350 crossmember was the same for a 4 speed . . . maybe I am confused. Somebody correct me here !

-EA

Guest Evil Austin

Bones-

A-thank you for answering stupid question number one ! Now. . . who repops or manufactures new ones made for manual transmissions ?

-EA

well they do have some aftermarket ones, if you want the shifter in the FACTORY location so you can use the stock consol, use a factory crossmember & shifter

most shifters bolt to the trans, our factory shifters bolt to the crossmember, so it moves the shifter closer to the drivers side, so scratch the consol

if you are wanting to do the FACTORY look....Call Leo, he might have a crossmember and shifter

I have at least two shifters, BUT!!! I WILL NOT part with them

One more thing...bench seat car had a different shifter handle than the bucket seat cars

Guest Evil Austin

Well originality went out the window when I pulled all the bright trim off and filled the holes and started building a 572 smile

So I guess an aftermarket crossmember is where I go. . . where can I locate one of these gems ? smile

-EA

The stock Monte automatic crossmember will work. You should change the rubber isolators since they're probably toast if you haven't already. Or you can just get a 68-72 Chevelle crossmember that bolts directly to the frame. It'll fit. I used the stock Monte crossmember with no problem on my conversion. Just needed to replace the dampening front yoke with a non-dampening type to fit my M20 correctly.