Removing the Pilot Bushing

Guest alphamale1906

Guest alphamale1906

I was prepping my 350 for installation into a car with a TH350 and just remembered there is a pilot bushing in the crank for a manual shaft. This engine was originally in a manual car and I never removed the pilot bushing after pulling it from the donor car.

Is there any requirement to remove the bushing? I thought I had read that it could damage the flexplate (or something) if not removed prior to installing an automatic flexplate.

If it can just remain, great as that's less hammering or pulling that I'd have to do to the engine. Otherwise, if someone knows that it is a must to remove, please let me know.

Also, if it has to come out, has anyone used the "grease and drift" technique? Y'know, packing the crank with grease and hammering a drift the size of the bushing hole through the bushing...

I have used the grease and drift or an old input shaft, I have also ued a tap to cut threads into it the tap bottoms out in the crank and forces the bushing out.

A trick I learned from my dad a long time ago (and nothing I've ever seen in any book!) is to use a tap. Find one that's about the same size as the center hole and just start threading it in. It's bronze so it's frairly soft. Once the tap hits the end of the crank, the bushing will just start walking backwards out of the hole so you don't have a greasy mess to deal with.

Mike

Guest alphamale1906

Time to break out the ole Tap and Die set. I had reserved my self to getting lubed up with grease and an alignment tool. I thought about tapping the busing, screwing in a bolt and using the slide hammer. However, just letting the tap walk the bushing out seems to be the best idea yet. I will have to try that and post how things work out!

Thanks!!

Guest alphamale1906

Long live the drift and grease method! I didn't have a tap that was big enough, so that was out. The bushing must have been an original to the engine and was worn pretty large so my old alignment tool was too small for a snug fit into the center of the bearing (maybe women are right....size does matter). So, as a result I went onto the right size socket and extension!

About 6 good whacks and about 3/4 cup of grease and the bearing popped out. I would say be generous with the amount of force when hitting the dowel or socket (7/16 by the way) or whatever you plan on using.

Also, it's key to get all of the air pockets out. Once that's done, the bearing won't stand a chance.

Thanks for all of your help!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...