rear axel

monty72

• 5 months later...

i was hoping that i had a posi myself with that GW5 code on the build sheet but, when i took it out to a parking lot and stomped on it only one tire left a marking.i saw it was a twelve bolt and got excited but oh well.

posi/non posi is an easy check

jack both rear wheels in the air, and rotate one rear tire. if it turns easy, and the other one turns the opposite way, it's an 'open' or non-posi.. if it doesn't want to turn at all, then you need to make sure the jack didn't sink.. lol.. seriously. if it doesn't want to turn, or turns very hard, it's a posi. if the tranny is in neutral, the other tire will turn in the same direction with a posi.

It might be an easy check, but not accurate. If it is a posi with worn clutches then it will turn easy and the other wheel will turn in the opposite direction. If it is not a posi, but has been abused (one wheel burnouts) or the housing is bent a little then it will be hard to turn and the other wheel will turn in the same direction. There is ONLY ONE way to be sure. That is to remove the cover and look at it.

Exactly, my posi used to turn on both sides in the same direction but now years later it rotates like an open rearend nilly.gif. Although it hooks at the track with slicks like is was new.

i've come across some worn posi's before, but I've never seen a posi spin the other wheel in the opposite direction. but yes.. removing the cover and looking is the only sure-fire, 100% positive way of knowing.

last time I saw an open diff that bad that they turned like a posi.. it lasted about 100 miles more before it spread the spider gears all over the hwy :>

my buddy had to put his truck in 4-lo and drag the rear end of his truck down the hwy until the chunks let the rear tires turn again.. then it was 4-hi and fwd only all the way home heh.

the tires were already junk from locking up @ 70mph.

• 3 months later...

I can get you a posi in there if you like...Just let me know or visit jdrace.com

12 bolt 3 or 4 series posi Yukon Brand eaton. Fully rebuildable for life clutch type unit. 379.99 plus shipping.

Ask for pictures but they are brand new in the box.

• 4 months later...

If you scrap the passenger side front of the axle tube you will reveal a stamped in suffix code for your rear axle. This will tell you what gears and if it is a posi the date it was made and where it was made. Ok? Jim

You get me those number I wil decode it for you.