Driveshaft shortening

Reaper

Just curious where any of you in Ohio might have taken your driveshaft to be shortened... I was going to spend the money to get an aluminum one made with 1350 joints but its not in the budget yet so I just want to shorten mine for now... What do you think it should cost and where can I look? Thanks guys smile

Tom

bring it with you to the party and i will take it down to custom clutch and joint.

they shorten and balance shafts, they sell combo ujoints ,and custom stuff.http://www.customclutch.com/contact.html

There on Mogadore road is C&U driveshaft thats who did my first shaft.. he seems to be a little high on price.I am going to go by Sam Weiners(sp) on old Waterloo I here he is decent priced and I need a new shaft made.I wouldnt go aluminum anyways I know a few guys who went that route and they didnt last

Do you guys think 1350 joints are a must? I was thinking about just going with the TCI 1310s from Summit... If I did that I wouldnt worry at all about trying to get an aluminum one...

Thanks, Tom

Hey Bob, how much you think they would charge?

I went to a local machine shop and they charged me $60 to cut 6" out of my driveshaft and re-weld it together, and also another $20 to replace my ujoint since I forgot to bring the end caps with the driveshaft, and i was on my way to work, so I just had them put a new ujoint in it. I'm using whatever ujoints are factory for a 1st gen with a Th350.

Tom, if you use SLICKS, I defiantly would go with the 1350's

I agree...spend the money now for peace of mind...also get the 1350's without grease fitting's, they are pretty much bullet proof.

Bill

yes, with grease fittings, the u-joint has grease passages drilled from end to end, so it is basically hollowed out, ones without only have a small area at each end to hold a small amount of grease

Hey Bowtie, I just tried to call but they are closed.... What did they charge you to make a drive shaft? Tryin to figure out what the best thing to do is.... I have a 1350 trans yoke but would still need a pinion yoke... You have any idea what they might charge to shorten mine and put 1350 yokes on it? Just figured Id ask smile My driveshaft is after market, was actually made at C&U....

Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom I have to go talk to them tomorrow.They are open 8-5 I believe.Anyways I just paid $360 a new driveshaft.So I would say thats would be about the same cost for you to have a whole shaft built.Now if you already have one 1350 yoke on the drive shaft I would think if they can cut the other end off and put a new 1350 yoke on that end I would say it would be under $200.

I am sure any 1310 no grease fitting would handle ok HP