Rocker Arm Question

I'm tinkering with the idea of upgrading to a roller tip rocker.

The 454's rebuild and new Cam could be quite far down the road at this point but I still want something "go fast" added to my 454.

SO..I considered replacing my stock OEM rockers with these from Summit. These would simply replace what I have currently and no other modifications would be made to either cam or heads at this point.

Rocker arms

This add is claiming "up to 25 horsepower gain" Does that seem realistic to anyone here?

I really don't have any idea of the mileage on my 454, alls I really know is it is a 1978 from a Chevy 3500.

What about the wear on the current valve stems from the OEM units? Will this be a factor?

Quote:
not that you'll notice from the seat-of-the-pants, but they are alot easier on the valve guides, and look real cool

Ahhh the infamous cool points!!

Ok thanks for the advice I will think it over...

Any reason you recommended the Comp Cams verses Crane ??

here is what i went with they are full roller rockers in the 1.7 ratio for a big block. i was told dont waste money on the roller tips. http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwAsGuUTjqgGqA33F!*DTnYeUoXa2u*nrrFUVxXVTSVqJR2pDsxHf5XvWP!E*vw6e71ZLTx118m!fhvXN4DerIKUSR6*!9jid55XboAkXe0/s1010037.jpg

Linky no workie!! frown

Can you send a few pics to the E-mail address in my signature block maybe? Thanks in advance!

I couldn't get the Chevelle page to come up for me frown.

One thing I noticed is that you called them "roller tip" rockers, and then showed a link to a FULL roller rocker. The full roller is the way to go...even then the cost may outweigh the advantages. I debated for a long time on this when I redid my 454 and ended up just getting good, new stamped long-slot rockers like the stock parts.

Some things to consider about converting to roller:

You won't notice a performance difference.

You won't notice your oil temp being lower.

It's hard to beat the cost or reliability of stamped rockers.

You won't be able to SEE the fancy rollers once installed.

You will need to purchase a set of polly-lock adjustment/holdown nuts. (factory nuts won't work; you need the type with the allen-head set screw).something like this

The new rollers and nuts are taller and might not fit under your stock valve covers.

I'm not trying to talk you out of them, I'm just giving you some information so you can decide on your own. I don't think there is any debate about whether rollers are better; most will agree that rollers are desirable, but the advantages are better seen with a crazy engine with hi-lift cam and hi-rev useage because the valve motions are so much greater than what you have in a stock engine. The poor mild or stock engine just isn't worked hard enough to make the friction-reducing gains noticible.

The points that Mark brought up are very valid.

Also, If your exhaust valves have rotators on them you should remove them and replace them with a spacer. Rotators on a big block are at the base of the valve spring instead of the top of the spring like a small block.

Needle bearing fulcrum roller tip rockers really shine when you increase valve lift, spring pressure and rpm levels. If you are running a flat tappet hydralic lifter cam you may not notice any difference, although I think they are a little noisey.

Having said that I run them .640 lift and 380 lbs open pressure on a hydralic roller cam.

If you are going to go with them i would go with Sam's recommendations.

mike.. same for a small block? I was thinkin about roller rockers myself smile

i should remove the rotators?