Complete MSD setup

kc8oye

I've now got my car converted totally to MSD. The only remaining part of the original HEI system, is the pickup coil in the bottom of the distributor, and I aim to replace that with a crank trigger soon :>

I no longer use the HEI's coil-in-cap. I ordered up an MSD coil cover that provides a spark plug tower for an external coil, and deleted the internal one. and I'm using the MSD 6AL (with rev limiter) and an MSD Blaster-2 coil :>

Finding somewhere to mount an MSD Blaster-2 coil with the Large-cap hei distributor proved intereting.. in the end, I mounted it right next to the MSD box and i have a rather long coil wire.

spark plug wires are Acell STreetStock 8mm wires.

MSDside.jpg

MSDtop.jpg

You should think about getting the digital 6 box as well - I have the full MSD setup in my car - crank trigger, crank trigger distributor, blaster ss, and digital 6 box -

Finding somewhere to mount an MSD Blaster-2 coil with the Large-cap hei distributor proved intereting.. in the end, I mounted it right next to the MSD box and i have a rather long coil wire.

I thought the instructions on the coil said not to go over 18 inches from distributor? Won't you loose something mounting it so far away? Mike bought a bracket for ours that attached to the intake, so ours is mounted right behind our carb but in front of the distributor.

~Jaylene~

I thought the instructions on the coil said not to go over 18 inches from distributor? Won't you loose something mounting it so far away? Mike bought a bracket for ours that attached to the intake, so ours is mounted right behind our carb but in front of the distributor.

~Jaylene~

I agree, you will have too much resistance to get it's full benefit...I think my MSD coil even came with the bracket, I mounted it like Jaylene did. It looks something like this

Bill

mrg-9767_w.jpg

You can't mount the coil near the distributor with a LARGE-CAP HEI type distributor.. there simply isn't room.

If I had the small cap points type, or and MSD distributor, then I could.

I could't fit it on the firewall behind the distributor because there would be no access to the backside for securing it.

and for my setup, that MSD coil is problaby overkill anyway. I'm only 9.3:1 static compression.. with a very mild cam, and running 89 octane, I'm pretty sure it'd run on 87.. I just choose not to.

I was more concerned with how well the stock coil-in-cap hei coil would stand up to the abuse of the Multiple spark system.

As for the digital 6... more money then I need to spend right now.. I got a good deal on this box. .and really, the only reason I installed it at all was for the rev-limiter option cuz I seem to have a habbit of reving into the stratosphere wink

the box stops me cold at 6k smile

As for the digital 6... more money then I need to spend right now.. I got a good deal on this box. .and really, the only reason I installed it at all was for the rev-limiter option cuz I seem to have a habbit of reving into the stratosphere wink

the box stops me cold at 6k smile

I hear ya, with me everytime I change something I always go with more then I need so I can grow into it....It has saved me money in the future. I have learned the hard way about doing things 2 times.

yup. Sam offered me a deal on the box and coil I couldn't pass up smile

the HEI coil eliminator cap cost me $30 and the bracket was about $6.

so for about $140, I 've got a complete MSD setup, where an MSD 6AL is about $200 by itself :>

so what if I give up a couple of KV on the coil wire.. I still haven't even opened the gaps up on the plugs.. I think they're set at .040 or .045 right now.. I can't remember.

it's not that bad really ArmyTanker!

you can start out with just the box for $200 give or take.. but u can spend the little bit more to have the Digital 6+ box that doesn't require the 'chips' it also produces more spark power then the basic 6al..

MSD 6-AL (with rev limiter) #6420 is $219.90

MSD Digital 6+ #6520 is $319.50

then you can add a basic blaster 2 coil for $$38.30

or upgrade the Chrome blaster 2 coil for $44.30

or even the Blaster 3 coil for $39.30

if you use a stock type HEI distributor, u will need thse two accessories:

MSD Wiring harness #8861 $6.60 (this bypasses the HEI module)

MSD Coil cover #8401 or #84011: $32.90 or $36.60

This is where it does get pricey

Then if you really wanna do it right, you continue on to add the MSD Crank trigger kit

#8600 $267.20 (could vary depending on which size balancer u use and sb or bb)

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe if you run a crank trigger, you have to use an MSD timing computer to provide the 'mechanical' advance..

Fixed-curve timing control #8980 is $145.10 and they go up from there.

and the last piece of the puzzle is to go to an MSD distributor with no advance mechanism in it.

Such as MSD #85502 for $285.10

As you can see. while the MSD stuff is kinda pricey.. it can be installed Piece by piece, as money allows smile my next move will be to get the timing controller and crank trigger kits :>

You should think about getting the digital 6 box as well - I have the full MSD setup in my car - crank trigger, crank trigger distributor, blaster ss, and digital 6 box -

What is the MSD Part # of that distributor?