Traction, Traction, Traction!!!!!

680HPStroker

Ok all you 600+ HP guys help me out here. I can't get any traction on the street and the rear of my car is bouncy with BFG Drag Radials at 28lbs. I have my QA1 shocks cranked down to the #10 setting(12 is as high as they go). Whenever I get on the throttle all I do is spin and chew up the tread on these tires. I neen a tire solution for the street that is sticky enough to hook up and has good ride quality as well. This may be too tall of an order, but I figure with todays technology someone has to make this type of tire. I do have an e-mail in to the folks at Hossier Tires and await their responce. Thanks.

by what I've read...the Mickey Thompson drag radial is the best, I think you'll have trouble hooking with anything short of something like M/T ET streets

by what I've read...the Mickey Thompson drag radial is the best, I think you'll have trouble hooking with anything short of something like M/T ET streets

I have the M/T ET streets that I run with 20-24 pounds and they don't work either on the street, anywhere in first and second I can spin them at will - Im around 580-600 to the wheels.

I had a new set of M/T Drag Radials, but sold them because I had no confidence they would be any better than the BFG's. There is a guy I meet Tuesday night that runs Hoosier Quick Time Pro tires on his 700HP big block Doge Dart and swears that at 17lbs on the street he has no ride issues and they hook very well. According to Hoosier's web site those tires are not intended for street use at all.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that anybody who has that much power to the rear wheel, will simply not get any traction unless they use a sticky compound tire, and heats them up so that they will hook. Any tire will spin if they are cold and on the street, even slicks.

Maybe install a little windshield washer pump with the nozzles spraying VHT onto the rear tires before you need the traction? lol

I had a new set of M/T Drag Radials, but sold them because I had no confidence they would be any better than the BFG's. There is a guy I meet Tuesday night that runs Hoosier Quick Time Pro tires on his 700HP big block Doge Dart and swears that at 17lbs on the street he has no ride issues and they hook very well. According to Hoosier's web site those tires are not intended for street use at all.

Quick time pros are similar to the ET Streets - they are DOT approved (so no tickets) - I have run them on my car since 2000 (with tubes) on the street with no issues. 17 is a little low for the street unless your on smooth level pavement, but the only way to get them to work out of a dig is to a burnout to heat them up.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that anybody who has that much power to the rear wheel, will simply not get any traction unless they use a sticky compound tire, and heats them up so that they will hook. Any tire will spin if they are cold and on the street, even slicks.

I agree totally. I have BF Goodrich Drag Radials and they hook "fairly" well at the track after a burnout and a sticky track, but on the street they will spin horribly if I hammer it...granted they are way better than the average street tire.

My Mickey Thompson slicks will hook like glue at the track but even these tires will not hook well on the street...and I have actually driven them around quite a bit...but they will spin if they are not heated up.

You mention you have QA1 shocks, so do I, when I race my car I set my rear drivers side to the number 1 setting and the passenger side to 12, works real well for me, although driving on the street like that might not be practical.

By the way I'm only putting down like 420 hp at the rear wheels so you will never hook on the street... cool

Bill

oh my.. i'm only putting about 300 to the rea wheels.. i guess I see what I've got to look forward to when i get closer to 400 :P~

You should have tried the Mickey's- they hook much better than the BFG DRs! I'm curious- are you trying to hook from a dead-stop or from a roll? Either way, 28psi is wayyy too much pressure. It is not easy to hook on the street from a dead stop no matter what- even a poorly prepped track can make it hard to hook. What does your car 60' at the track? I run 17 lbs in my BFGs on my Monte and it will hook from a slow roll with a bone-stock suspension. It'll do 1.7 60' at a well-prepped track. I run Mickey DRs with 17 lbs on my Camaro- with just slapper bars I've gone 1.54 60' (10.7 @ 125). On the street I can't just plant it or it'll make very long, dark patches, but with teasing the throttle just a bit after a small burnout, it'll hook. And 17 psi does not bother the ride at all.

What all do you have going on with your rear-suspension? If it is all aftermarket, sounds like you need to tune it in. If it isn't set up right, it can be way worse than a stock suspension.

The rear suspension is all aftermarket. It's all located properly. I never got a responce from Hoosier(gee go figure), but I may give the Quick time Pro's a try. My only dilema with the 28x11.50x15 tires is that Hoosier states they have an 11.2" sectional width. Is that fully heated, or cold? If they get any wider than that I can't run them. My P275/60/15 BFG's have a 11.1" sectional width and I only have 3/4" between the wheel well lip and the tire sidewall. Maybe I should just go back to a stock 350/350 with a one legger rearend and A/C. I'd probably be a lot happier(NOT). Thanks guys.

The rear suspension is all aftermarket. It's all located properly. I never got a responce from Hoosier(gee go figure), but I may give the Quick time Pro's a try. My only dilema with the 28x11.50x15 tires is that Hoosier states they have an 11.2" sectional width. Is that fully heated, or cold? If they get any wider than that I can't run them. My P275/60/15 BFG's have a 11.1" sectional width and I only have 3/4" between the wheel well lip and the tire sidewall. Maybe I should just go back to a stock 350/350 with a one legger rearend and A/C. I'd probably be a lot happier(NOT). Thanks guys.

The Quick Times and ET Streets do grow slightly but 3/4 of inch is plenty of room - sectional width is different when comparing these tires to radials as your really only looking at bubble to bubble, IMO if you will fine at the track.

I used MT ET Drags (stiff sidewall) 28x10.5 (which is comparable to the QT 28x11.5) at the track with 14pounds of air and no rubbing in my wheel well (which is definately smaller then your monte)

The rear suspension is all aftermarket. It's all located properly.

I guess what I was asking about the suspension is if it is tuned in- the adjustments are infinite on that stuff, so it is easy to be "out". My buddy has an 8-second pro-street hemi Dart and he takes it to a chassis builder where they tweak the suspension using scales. As for the tires, I agree with Cali- they should fit no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I ran into two more guys last weekend at a car show who are using Hoosier QTP's on their street/strip car. They both reported that for short trips that driving those tires on the street are no problem. I asked about driving on the highway for up to one hour. I was told that was about the max, but should still be ok. As with any drag tire if you even just think it's going to rain go home, or sit and wait until the road is dry. I'm going to save up and get me a set of 28x11.50x15 QTP's. I'll put them on in place of the BFG Drag radials and put my BFG Radial T/A's on a different set of matching rear wheels(never been on the street). Then we will see if the proof is really in this pudding. I just wish I could afford a a roll cage. That will be my show stopper for anything other than local test and tune Friday nights.

As with any drag tire if you even just think it's going to rain go home, or sit and wait until the road is dry.

I drive 40 minutes to the track with my slicks...I check the forecast constantly but was hit with a sudden shower on the way home right where they had construction and concrete dividers on bothe sides, I couldn't pull over or stop. The next exit was like 12 miles away...I thought for sure I was gonna wreck... eek

Amazingly they didn't even spin and I survived.

Bill

Trailers are for queens! Just kidding. If I keep my car I'm going to get a new one that is 16' with an open center section and one that won't drag my header collecters. Until then I'm driving to everything.

sure beats getting caught in the rain on slicks, or worse yet....by the police eek

I drove to a car show with my slicks and had just opened my exhaust up and a cop starts following me...he followed me all the way into the show but kept going as I parked the monte...there was like 600 cars there, I'm willing to bet I was more street legal then alot of them... grin

Bill