When did they end full halo tops for '70s?

Guest Jagger

Guest Jagger

Hi

I was wondering when they (Chevrolet), ended the production of Montes with halo top? My car is one of those and I know that not all -70 Montes have it.

my understanding is the halo top stopping before the front window was a early production. late production is when it ran to the window like 71 and 72. both styles are called halo top i believe, the early production is called full halo.

Jagger,

This is a questions which pops up now and then. According to our research here on the site, it was not a Chevrolet decision to end the production. From what we can gather it was an assembly plant to assembly plant decision. Robert (monte70car) mentions it was an early production item. I would like to clarify that a little bit. The "Full" Halo was on all early production 70's but it was NOT limited to early production. My Monte was a late production 70 Baltimore plant car and it has the "Full" Halo and others responded that they had a late in the year build date from other plants and they had the Full trim.

What we have gathered from our research is that since some plants ended production of the "FULL" Halo earlier than others we feel that as they ran out of the 1970 trim late in the production year, rather than ordering a large stock of that trim and not being able to use it they simply switched to the 1971 trim which ran the vinyl material all the way up to the windshield trim.

Another item which was on som 70's but disappeared later in the production year was the think chrome strip that ran along the lower portion of the front fender extension just below the head light and just above the bumper.

Rob

Hello,

I have wondered about this myself. I have seen all years of the first gen Monte with the halo and full halo tops. im sure over the years people have added tops their way and also i would make a safe bet the dealerships added tops too on some cars to help sales of slow sellers or unique cars. At that a dealership may choose to run the top down to the glass just to save on trim cost and the labor involved in installing it.

hunt down your build sheets everyone!

Steve

• MCfan changed the title to When did they end full halo tops for '70s?